Share this page Print

Flood recovery - Home repair / replacement work

flood permit grant program

If you’ve completed or are considering any type of repair or construction at your property, ensure you know what permits are required, and have The City inspect the work for safety.


We’re here to help answer any additional questions you might have, please contact 311 or visit Flood impacted homeowners.

​What repair or replacement work requires a permit and inspection?

Permits and inspections can be required for any home improvement or repair that relates to:

  • Natural Gas (furnaces, hot water tanks, fireplaces, boilers etc.).
  • Plumbing (sewer back-flow devices, additions or changes).
  • Electrical (electrical panels, wiring, outlets).
  • Home improvement / renovations (new basement, basement alterations, outdoor decks, retaining walls, detached structures, fireplaces and stoves, secondary suites etc.).

Major renovations that include demolishing, rebuilding, additions, repairing structural damage and floor plan changes may require a demolition, building or development permit.

Repair or replace permit and inspection requirements

Homeowner can do some repairs or additions, but a lot of work requires the services of a qualified, licenced contractor​.

Natural gas

All natural gas equipment installations or repairs can only be completed by a qualified licenced contractor. A single gas permit application per address can cover all gas work and equipment installation or repair inspections noted below.

​Common household gas equipment ​Installation / repair requirements
  • ​Furnaces or boilers
  • Hot water tank
  • Instant hot water systems
  • Fireplaces
  • Instantaneous hot water heaters (wall mounted)
  • Room heaters
  • Qualified licence contractor only​

Learn more about plumbing and gas permits.


​​Installing a new electrical panel, relocating an existing panel or making any changes requires qualified licenced contractor to complete the work.

Electrical wiring and outlet installations can be performed by a qualified licence contractor or homeowner.

Common household gas equipment​ ​Installation / repair requirements
  • Electrical panel
  • ​Qualified licenced contractor only
  • Electrical wiring
  • Electrical outlets​

Safety note: Electrical wiring and outlets submerged in flood water may corrode overtime, creating a potential safety risk. The City recommends replacing any wiring or outlets that might have been impacted.

Learn more about electrical permits.


​​Changes or additions to the plumbing in a house can be done by either a qualified licenced contractor or the homeowner.

Learn more about homeowner's plumbing permits.

Learn more about plumbing and gas permits.


  • If your basement was finished prior to the flood, and you have an existing building permit in place for its development, a new building permit is not required (provided you are not changing the floor plan following the flood).
  • If you’re not sure if you have a building permit to develop your basement, contact 311.
  • If you are considering changing the floor plan of your basement, or developing a previously undeveloped basement, a building permit is required.

Learn more about basements renovations.

Outdoor structures

Repairs or replacement of existing structures (with a pre-existing permit) require a Building Permit.

  • Deck (600 mm above grade at any point).
  • Retaining walls (more than 1.0 metres in height).
  • Detached: garages, carports, sheds (more than 10 sq metres).
  • Factory-built (metal) wood burning fireplaces and stoves.
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs, some ponds (water features).
  • Secondary suites.
  • Fences - a permit is required if you are located in a floodway. Contact the Planning Services Support Centre at 403-268-5311.