Share this page Print

Building Permits

When is  building Permit required?

A Building Permit IS REQUIRED to:

  • Erect a new building or structure (including retaining walls over 1.2 metres in height, swimming pools, and hot tubs), or
  • Demolish, relocate, repair, alter or make additions to an existing building or structure.

Please see the Building Permit Complete Application Requirement Lists (CARLs), fee schedules​, forms, and brochures provide detailed requirements necessary to process Building Permit applications.

You can view all current Building Permits; Development Permits; Land use Amendment, Outline Plans and Road Closure applications; and Public Notices for Development Permits on The City's My Property map.

When is a Building Permit not required?

Building Permits ARE NOT REQUIRED for:

  • Fences, sidewalks, planters
  • Retaining walls that are less than 1.2 metres in height
  • Painting, decorating and general maintenance
  • Minor repairs using similar or same materials for maintenance which do not affect any electrical or mechanical work
  • Accessory buildings not greater than 10 square metres in area, if they do not create a hazard

How much does a Building Permit cost?

The fee str​ucture for Building Permit fees is also available. Fees for the other disciplines are stated on the respective web pages and are in the various annual bulletins.

Will I need a Development Permit as well?

It may also be necessary for you to obtain a Development Permit prior to submitting an application for a Building Permit.

More details are available in our brochure called Development & Building Permits - permit requirements for common home renovations.

Do I need a permit for electrical, plumbing and gas work?

Electrical and plumbing

In addition to a Building Permit, if you intend to install or modify electrical wiring and/or plumbing, you will require separate Electrical and Plumbing Permits. Your licensed electrical and/or plumbing contractor is responsible for obtaining these permits.

You also have the option of obtaining a homeowner's Electrical Permit and/or a homeowner's Plumbing Permit.  In order to qualify for these permits;

  • the home must be a single family dwelling;
  • you must be the owner and occupant of the home; and
  • you must be performing the installations yourself.

Gas and heating

All gas and heating installations (including piping) must be carried out by a qualified licensed contractor.


BizPaL is intended to simplify the processes for permit applications, business licences and other compliance regulations for entrepreneurs, governments, and third party business service providers, by providing Canadian businesses with one-stop access to permit and licence information for federal, provincial and municipal governments.