Share this page Print

Demolition Permits

When is a Demolition Permit required?

A Demolition Permit is required to demolish or move a building from a site and must be acquired prior to applying for your new Building Permit. Demolish or Move a Building application requirement list.

The Demolition Permit process ensures that services have been disconnected prior to demolition and that the site is safe during and after demolition.

Interior demolition does not require a Demolition Permit; however, it does require a Building Permit.

Demolishing a garage

  • Demolishing or removing a detached garage with separate services (not from the house) requires a Demolition Permit. 

  • Demolishing or removing a detached garage that is not separately serviced (is fed from the house or has no services) does not require a Demolition Permit. If the garage services are fed from the house, they can be disconnected at the source and no Demolition Permit is required.

Service disconnection

When you apply for a demolition or moving permit, you will receive information on the Demolition Permit process, including service disconnection information for electrical, water and sewer, and natural gas.  After you have contacted each utility for disconnection, return the signed Service Disconnection Request form to Development & Building Approvals to receive your permit.

Residential water service(s) reuse

Customers may apply to reuse a home's existing water, sanitary and storm water service lines in established communities when building a new home or making major renovations. Reusing existing service lines can save property owners money; however, the service lines must meet a number criteria, including pipe size and material type, in order to be approved by The City. More information is available at

Heritage approval

All Demolition Permit applications are reviewed by a heritage planner prior to being issued.

Moving a building

Moving a building requires a permit Demolish or Move a Building application requirement list.  If you're moving a house and it will be relocated within the city limits, you will also require a Building Permit for the new location, and you may require a Development Permit.

The building mover is also required to obtain a permit from the Transportation Department when moving a building on a city street.  Contact Transportation at 311.

Property assessment and taxes

Removing or demolishing a building affects the property assessment and; therefore, affects property taxes.  If the building being demolished or removed from the site will not be replaced, notify the Customer Service Centre at 403-268-2888 to have your property assessment adjusted accordingly.