Share this page Print

Home occupation permits

What is a home occupation?

Home occupations are small-scale businesses that operate out of a home in a residential neighbourhood. Two types of home occupations are allowed in Calgary.

The first type is a Class 1 Home Occupation which has no effect on the surrounding neighbourhood. This type is allowed in all residential neighbourhoods.

The second type is a Class 2 Home Occupation which has minimal effect on the surrounding neighbours. This type is allowed only if no adverse impact on the neighbours can be guaranteed.

If you require documentation for business licensing or tax purposes, municipal planning approval/acceptance will be in the form of either a Home Occupation Class 1 Clearance form or a Development Permit for Home Occupation Class 2.

If you have additional questions please contact us at 403-268-5311.