Share this page Print

Restoring your home's electricity

​Downed Power line

In the event of an emergency:

  • To report a downed power line that is sparking, smoking or creating a fire, call 9-1-1 immediately, with information on the exact location of the line. What to do if you see a downed power line.
  • To report trees/branches on a line, contact ENMAX (403) 258-8232.  Do not try and remove any branches or trees from live wires yourself.

Restoring electricity to your home following extreme weather

In the event of a power outage due to unforeseen circumstances or weather events such as wind, snow or ice, The City works closely with ENMAX to restore power to residential communities as quickly as possible.
If power in your neighbourhood is restored, but you do not have power at your property electrical repairs by a City Qualified Electrician maybe required.  During extreme weather events your homes electrical service line and or service masthead could be damaged.
overhead service
image courtesy of ENMAX

When do I need to hire a City Qualified Electrician to make repairs to my home?

If the service line is damaged or an object is touching the line, contact ENMAX power (403) 258-8232. 
If your homes overhead service masthead is damaged, you will need to hire a City Qualified Electrician to make electrical repairs to your home before ENMAX can restore power.

Electrical Permits requirements

We want to reduce any delays in having your power restored at your property.  A City Qualified Electrician can pull permits without delaying repairs to your property by applying online before work begins or the following business day.
  • The City will inspect your electricians work to ensure it meets all applicable code and City bylaw requirements.
  • If you’re not sure if your electrician has applied or obtained a permit, you can check at anytime by contact 311.

After-hour repairs

In extreme weather events The City will allow ENMAX to restore power to homes during evenings and weekends hours, but only under the following conditions:
  • Residential properties with electrical currents of 100 or 200amps only
  • Private property electrical repairs must be completed by a City Qualified Electrician
  • ENMAX will validate the Electrician is City Qualified prior to restoring power
  • ENMAX can deny power restoration if it deems any electrical work is unsafe
  • An electrical permit must be obtained the following business day