The purpose of the Banff Trail Capitol Hill Community Planning Project is:
- To engage with the community of Banff Trail about future transit oriented development east of the LRT alignment along Capitol Hill Crescent.
- Work with local stakeholders to identify potential locations for modest redevelopment, consistent with the policies of the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) and within the boundaries of the Banff Trail Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP).
Since the launch of the Banff Trail Community Planning Project, the Capitol Hill Community Association requested to be included in the process. Capitol Hill has a common boundary with Banff Trail and the communities share many of the same characteristics, issues and opportunities. Both communities are now included in the project, and will have the same webpage, workshops and engagement opportunities.
How will any changes be implemented?
The communities of Capitol Hill and Banff Trail have area redevelopment plans which guide future land use and development. These plans set high level requirements for future development and outline how the goals of Calgary’s Municipal Development Plan and other planning documents will be applied to a specific site. Area redevelopment plans may be amended as conditions change in a community and as the vision and aspirations of a community change.
Key Goals of the Municipal Development Plan include:
- Keeping our city and our inner city areas vibrant, healthy and prosperous
- Providing diverse housing choices for all Calgarians in all communities
- Using our resources wisely
Potential City-initiated land use redesignations (R-CG Land Use District)
City Council approved the new R-CG (Residential Grade-oriented Infill) land use district on October 6, 2014 and directed City staff to pursue opportunities for Area Redevelopment Plan amendments and, pending approval, corresponding Land Use Bylaw redesignations as they relate to R-CG.
This means that if, through the Banff Trail Capitol Hill Community Planning Process, areas in the community are identified as appropriate for the R-CG land use district, the Banff Trail and/or North Hill Area Redevelopment Plans could be amended to allow for City-initiated land use redesignations to R-CG.
The following steps have to take place before any City-initiated land use designations can occur:
- Comprehensive community engagement before Area Redevelopment Plan amendments proceed to City Council for consideration.
- Proposed Area Redevelopment Plan amendments must go before the Calgary Planning Commission to form a recommendation to City Council.
- Public notification and a public hearing must be held prior to a decision by City Council on proposed Area Redevelopment Plan amendments.
- Proposed land use redesignations would go before the Calgary Planning Commission to form a recommendation to City Council.
- Public notification and a public hearing must be held prior to a decision by City Council on proposed land use redesignations.
Process / timeline
|Open house to introduce project
||Feburary 10, 2014|
|Planning Advisory Committee and City staff work to identify potential areas for intensification
||May - November 2014|
|Open house to present preliminary land use concepts for public input
||December 11, 2014|
|Public input reviewed, summarized and posted online
|Planning Advisory Committee and City staff work to revise concepts based on public feedback
||January - September 2015|
|Open house to present revised land use concepts for public input
||September 29, 2015|
|Proposal presented to the Calgary Planning Commission
||January 14, 2016|
|Public hearing and City Council
||March 7, 2016|
How to get involved
1. Contact City Staff
You can contact the planner working on this file directly:
Supporting information and documents
For media requests please call 403-828-2954 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.