The Intersection Approach Paving Program monitors over 50 intersections serviced through the Intersection Safety Camera Program administered by the Calgary Police Service.
- When does this program occur?
- How are these approaches completed?
- What are the contractor responsibilities?
- What can you do to help?
1. When does this program occur?
The program begins once the frost is out of the ground, typically in May and runs through August.
The work is publicly tendered and awarded to a pre-qualified contractor. Work conducted under this program adheres to the City of Calgary’s Community Standards Bylaw for hours of work:
- 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday
- 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday and Statutory holidays
2. How are these approaches completed?
The repair area is identified and underground locates are performed. The Camera loops at the intersection are de-energized. The repair area is milled to the required mill depth and the asphalt millings are deposited offsite for recycling. The milled area is resurfaced, road markings painted and Camera loops are re-energized.
All work is performed to comply with the most recent version of The City of Calgary Roads Construction Standard Specifications for the roadway classification where repair is required.
3. What are the contractor responsibilities?
Scheduled work is posted on the Advanced Traveller Information System. The contractor will deliver a notification letter to affected properties, when warranted, outlining the proposed work and schedule. In the event the schedule changes, typically due to weather changes, the contractor will notify affected property owners as soon as possible.
Temporary traffic control devices and signage will be placed at the affected intersection approaches. In all cases, Calgary Police Services will be onsite to provide traffic control measures and ensure safety.
4. What can you do to help?
- Please do not enter the worksite areas at the intersections, until all barricades and other signage have been removed by the contractor.
- Plan ahead, by travelling on another roadway segment to get to where you have to go until the intersection approach area has been completed.
- Follow all Calgary Police personnel and flaggers direction, if you have to enter this particular intersection during the work activity.
Intersection approach paving repairs - Quick Facts