Accessible viewing zones
There will be a number of road closures to accommodate events all over the city during the Calgary Stampede (July 8-17). Spectators travelling to the Stampede parade are encouraged to walk, bike or use Calgary Transit to get into the downtown core.
Friday July 8
Beginning at 7:30 a.m., Friday, July 8, the following roadways will be closed for the 2016 Calgary Stampede Parade:
- Westbound 6 Avenue from 3 Street S.E. to 10 Street S.W.
- 10 Street S.W. from 6 Avenue S.W. to 9 Avenue S.W.
- Eastbound 9 Avenue from 10 Street S.W. to 3 Street S.E.
- The morning connector from Bow Trail to westbound 5 Avenue S.W. will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. only.
All roadways are expected to reopen by approximately 2 p.m.
See the Stampede parade Route map.
Alternate routes into downtown
- Eastbound traffic on 9 Avenue will be directed to 11 Street S.W.
- Motorists are advised to use 5 Avenue or 12 Avenue to bypass the closures.
- Motorists are encouraged to use Blackfoot Trail, Stoney Trail, Crowchild Trail, 16 Avenue, and Deerfoot Trail as alternate routes into downtown.
Transit will operate a 24-hour CTrain service through Stampede - from Thursday evening, July 7, until the early morning on Monday, July 18. On Parade day (Friday, July 8), some regular and express bus services will be on detour to accommodate the parade. Fares must be paid to travel from downtown to the Stampede.
CTrain service runs before, during and after the parade. All downtown CTrain stations are within one block of the Parade route.
For more information on Transit during the Stampede, visit Calgary Transit’s Stampede 101 webpage.
Parking lot closures
During the parade, there will be limited access to several Calgary Parking Authority parkades and surface lots along the parade route.
The following lots will be closed between 6 p.m. Thursday, July 7 to 1 p.m. Friday, July 8:
Lot 62 (407 - 9 Avenue S.E.)
Lot 62B (363 - 10 Avenue S.E.)
Lot 55 (724 - 4 Street S.E.)
- Lot 66 (830 - 9 Avenue S.W.)
The following lots will be closed between 7:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Friday, July 8:
City Centre Parkade (221 - 9 Avenue S.W. entrance; parkade is accessible via 340 - 10 Avenue S.W. entrance)
- Centennial Parkade (608 - 9 Avenue S.W. and 823 - 5 Street S.W.)
- Convention Centre Parkade (727 - 1 Street S.E.)
- Arts Commons Parkade (829 Macleod Trail S.E.)
Lot 7 (208 - 9 Avenue S.W.)
- Lot 91 (610 - 3 Street S.E.)
City Hall Parkade (322 - 9 Avenue S.E.)
Visit the Calgary Parking Authority for more information.