Get permits from Calgary Parking Authority
The City of Calgary's residential parking permit program helps communities control the number of non-resident vehicles by establishing zones and restricting parking to residents with residential parking permits. In order to implement the program in a community, the area must be deemed a Residential Parking Permit Zone. Check the map to see if you live in a Residential Parking Permit Zone.
Residential parking permits are issued by the Calgary Parking Authority
Residential Parking Zone Map
How to get a parking permit
If residential parking restrictions are currently implemented on your street, you will require a permit to exempt your vehicle from the posted restrictions. For example; if you live in a 2 hr parking zone, you can obtain a residential parking permit that will allow you to park there 24 hrs per day. Residential parking permits are issued by the Calgary Parking Authority. Please visit their website for information on how to apply for a parking permit, renewals and additional permit requests.
Establishing a new residential parking permit zone
Residential Parking Permit Zone sign
If you checked the residential parking zone map and do not live in an existing Residential Parking Zone, you can request a zone creation by contacting your community association or City Councilor:
- Contact your community association or City Councilor with your request.
- The community association or the Councilor’s office will contact the Transportation Department with the request in a formalized letter to the Traffic Engineering Division, P.O. Box 2100, Station M, #4008, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 2M5.
- A parking survey will be conducted to determine if the area meets one or more of the following zoning criteria:
The Transportation and Transit Committee (T&T) and City Council must approve an amendment to the Traffic Bylaw prior to establishing a zone.
If approved, the community is designated a Residential Parking Permit Zone.
Residents must then request implementation and enforcement by requesting and then conducting a City of Calgary official petition of individual blocks. Call 311 to request a Residential Parking Permit Zone Petition.
- Adjacent to a 5,000 vehicle trips per day generator, e.g., hospitals, educational institutions.
- A minimum zone size of 10 blocks and 70 per cent of the vehicles are non-resident.
Making changes to existing Residential Parking Zone signs
If you live in an existing Residential Parking Permit Zone and wish to request or make changes to parking restriction street signs:
- Contact 311 and request a Residential Parking Signs Petition.
Request a Residential Parking Sign Petition
Note: Choose Residential Parking as the Nature of Concern
- The petition will be mailed to you.
- The petition must be completed with 80% agreement from residents on that block.
- Only one restriction per block is allowed.
- Mail the completed petition to The City as per the instructions on the petition package.
- The City will review the petition and implement the requested parking restrictions.
- Signs must be in place for at least 18 months before further changes to restrictions can be requested.