How to apply
Once you register for a myID, as a business administrator, you will be able to log into ePermits to apply.
If you need help or additional explanation when using the ePermits website, please see the ePermits frequently asked questions for more information.
The City of Calgary will consider the installation of promotional banners attached to City owned structures over roadways provided that they meet the following criteria.
- The banner must be promoting a non-profit, charitable cause or public event.
- Requests must be made to the Traffic Division a minimum of four weeks and a maximum of four months, prior to the desired installation date.
- The applicant must provide:
- A certificate of insurance with two million dollars of liability insurance and a 30 day cancellation clause, naming the City of Calgary as additional insured for the period that the banners will be displayed.
- A current Government of Alberta Corporation non-profit search document which is available from your local corporate registry.
- A scaled detail drawing conforming to the design requirements.
All required information should be submitted through ePermits. Incomplete applications will be declined.
Structure locations for banners
Banner locations are subject to availability. A maximum of eight banners per application is allowed. Multiple applications within a calendar year are based on availability and at the discretion of the City of Calgary, Roads, Traffic Division Manager. Each application must not be closer than 3 months apart.
|14 St||110 Ave||SS||SW||Pedestrian|
|14 St||110 Ave||NS||SW||Pedestrian|
|14 St||Glenmore Tr||WS||SW||Pedestrian|
|14 St||14 Ave||NS||NW||Vehicle|
|16 Ave||16 St||ES||NW||Pedestrian|
|16 Ave||16 St||WS||NW||Pedestrian|
|16 Ave||21 St||WS||NW||Pedestrian|
|16 Ave||West Campus Blvd||WS||NW||Vehicle|
|33 Ave||25 St||ES||SW||Pedestrian|
|33 Ave||25 St||WS||SW||Pedestrian|
|64 Ave||4 St||WS||NE||Pedestrian|
|64 Ave||4 St||ES||NE||Pedestrian|
|Anderson Rd||11 St||ES||SW||Pedestrian|
|Anderson Rd||11 St||WS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Anderson Rd||Canfield Cr||ES||SW||Pedestrian|
|Anderson Rd||Lake Newell||WS||SE||Pedestrian|
|Blackfoot Tr||92 Ave||NS||SE||Pedestrian|
|Blackfoot Tr||92 Ave||SS||SE||Pedestrian|
|Bow Tr||Balsam Dr||ES||SW||Pedestrian|
|Bow Tr||Balsam Dr||WS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Country Hills Blvd||Sanderling Dr||ES||NW||Pedestrian|
|Country Hills Blvd||Sanderling Dr||WS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||14 Ave||NS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||14 Ave||SS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||24 Ave||NS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||24 Ave||SS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||55 Ave||NS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||55 Ave||SS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||9 Ave||NS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||Glenmore Tr||SS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Crowchild Tr||50 Ave||NS||SW||Vehicle|
|Crowchild Tr||Shaganappi Tr||ES||NW||Vehicle|
|Crowchild Tr||Shaganappi Tr||WS||NW||Vehicle|
|Glenmore Tr||Legsby Rd||WS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Glenmore Tr||Legsby Rd||ES||SW||Pedestrian|
|Glenmore Tr||18 St||ES||SE||Vehicle|
|Glenmore Tr||18 St||WS||SE||Vehicle|
|Glenmore Tr||Elbow Dr||WS||SW||Vehicle|
|John Laurie Blvd||Brisbois Dr||ES||NW||Pedestrian|
|John Laurie Blvd||Brisbois Dr||WS||NW||Pedestrian|
|John Laurie Blvd||Huron Ave||ES||NW||Pedestrian|
|John Laurie Blvd||Huron Ave||WS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Macleod Tr||146 Ave||NS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Macleod Tr||146 Ave||SS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Macleod Tr||162 Ave||NS||SW||Pedestrian|
|Macleod Tr||162 Ave||SS||SW||Pedestrian|
|MacLeod Tr||31 Ave||NS||SE||Pedestrian|
|MacLeod Tr||31 Ave||SS||SE||Pedestrian|
|McKnight Blvd||1A St||ES||NE||Pedestrian|
|McKnight Blvd||1A St||WS||NE||Pedestrian|
|McKnight Blvd||Northmount Dr||ES||NW||Vehicle|
|McKnight Blvd||Northmount Dr||WS||NW||Vehicle|
|McKnight Bv||44 St||ES||NE||Pedestrian|
|McKnight Bv||44 St||WS||NE||Pedestrian|
|Memorial Dr||21 St||ES||NW||Pedestrian|
|Memorial Dr||21 St||WS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Memorial Dr||14 St||ES||NW||Vehicle|
|Memorial Dr||14 St||WS||NW||Vehicle|
|Metis Tr||64 Ave||NS||NE||Pedestrian|
|Metis Tr||64 Ave||SS||NE||Pedestrian|
|Sarcee Tr||Edgehill Cl||NS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Sarcee Tr||Edgehill Cl||SS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Shaganappi Tr||Market Mall||NS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Shaganappi Tr||Market Mall||SS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Shaganappi Tr||Valiant Dr||NS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Shaganappi Tr||Valiant Dr||SS||NW||Pedestrian|
|Shaganappi Tr||16 Ave||SS||NW||Vehicle|
|University Dr||16 Ave||NS||NW||Vehicle|
See the printable document for structure banner locations.
Banner design requirements
The request must contain a scaled detailed design pdf drawing showing the exact dimensions, artwork, the material and fastening method to be used, and wording complete with font size.
Banners are hung over high speed roadways, this must be taken into consideration with banner design and layout.
- Banners must be constructed of a recognized banner material that is utilized in the sign industry.
- Grommets must be at a minimum of 60 cm / 24 inch increments for steel cable installation and 30 cm / 12 inch increments for cable ties / wrap installation.
- Banner edge must be hemmed
- Wind slits or perforations are required in all banners to reduce wind loading.
- Background must be in high contrast of the font with minimal design.
- The font should be bold and of a type utilized in the sign industry, shadowing or other enhancement of the font is not permitted.
- Decorative or Script type fonts are not recommended.
- The use of photo images in banner design is not recommended.
- Maximum banner length of 10 m (maximum height of 1 m)
- Minimum banner length of 6 m (maximum height of 1 m)
- A maximum of 15 per cent of the front of the banner may be used by a third party sponsor.
- Minimum font size of 12" for main message and 8" for website and phone number.
- The permit number must be placed on the lower right hand side of the back of each banner.
- All banners must be installed according to the design requirements by a minimum of two adults.
- Installers can not park or stop vehicles on structures to hang the banners.
- Important: All tools being used to hang banners must be secured to the installer with a safety cord, No exceptions!
Securing the banner
Securing the banner must be done with a plastic coated steel cable. The cable must be wrapped around the overpass railing one time between each grommet for the full length of the banner both top and bottom.
The cable must be fastened with cable clamps or other recognized cable fastening devices at each end of the banner.
Note: cable must be a minimum 1/8 inch plastic coated steel cable, minimum suggested length is 4m to 5m longer than the banner. Temporary use of tie wraps is suggested to hold the banner in place while installing the cable
Cable on top and tie wraps on the bottom is permitted only if the tie wraps are recognized under a Building Code.
Tie wraps on top and bottom are permitted if the banner has grommets every 12 inches or 30 cm and approval has been granted on the permit.
Description of approved tie wraps:
- must be Black in color
- must have a minimum width of 5/16” or .312
- must be recognized for cold weather
- Each tie wrap must wrap completely around the railing, joining of multiple wraps is not permitted.
Recognized tie wraps can be purchased from industrial suppliers or electrical suppliers, regular grade wraps found
in home improvement stores do not have the strength to safely support these banners.
Note: The use of unrecognized tie wraps will result in a banner being removed and future use of the banner program being in question.
The maximum period that a banner can be displayed is two weeks. Banners permits will be issued from Sunday to Saturday in two week increments.
Banners must be removed by 5 p.m. last Saturday of the permit. Failure to remove banners on by the end of the permit term may result in refusal of future requests.
Pageantry Flags and Banners
The City of Calgary installs pageant banners along city roadways for public events like Stampede or Spruce Meadows, community associations or business revitalizations zones (BRZs).
These banners must be approved by The City of Calgary and generally stay up for a period of two weeks. Each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The
criteria to apply can be found in the Pageantry flags and banners installation policy.
A non-refundable, administrative fee of $25 plus GST will be charged once a banner location is confirmed. Payment can be made in person by debit, credit card or on-line through ePermits.