Share this page Print

Horse-drawn vehicle permit


Horse-drawn carriage
Horse-drawn carriage
Organizations operating horse-drawn vehicles (also known as horse drawn carriage) will require a horse-drawn permit to operate within The City of Calgary.

How to apply

There are two ways to request a horse-drawn vehicle permit application:

  1. Contact 311.
  2. Apply in person to the Permit Service Counter
    Roads Permit office location map
    2808 Spiller Rd S.E., South Tower, on the main floor, beside the reception desk.


The following regulations apply for the equipment requirements for this permit:

  • There must be a slow moving vehicles sign on the horse-drawn vehicle.
  • The driver of the horse-drawn vehicle must wear a safety vest.
  • Insurance is required in the amount of two million dollars ($2,000,000) naming The City of Calgary as additionally insured. No permit will be issued without insurance.

Permit costs

There is a $50 fee for this permit. Payment will not be collected until the permit is approved.