Beginning Tuesday, August 2, 2016, The City of Calgary is launching a new on-line calendar and booking system for the Coordinated (escorted) over-dimensional move applications. This customer service improvement allows you to browse and schedule your moves at your convenience, get updates on the status of your application, and receive your permit electronically. You will use your ePermits account to access the new booking system.
Daily / Single Trip permits
All new daily / single trip permits will be processed through the TRAVIS system, which is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The City will no longer being issuing these permits separately.
TRAVIS - Apply for Daily / Single Trip Over Dimensional Permits
How to apply
We will continue to support your business needs with Annual (City Wide) permits and the Coordinated / Escorted permits.
An over dimensional permit is required once a dimension of a vehicle hauling a load is larger than one of the following measurements:
- 8’6” / 2.6m wide
- 13’6” / 4.15m high
- 75’ / 22.86m long
The application will take approximately a minimum of five working days to process the application for the permit.
Annual permits (City Wide) may be issued to carriers that have a high volume of demand. There is a $50 administration fee for an annual over dimensional permit. The maximum dimensions that an annual permit can be issued for are:
- Width: 6.0m
- Height: 4.9m (ground to top of load)
- Length: 40.0m (bumper to bumper)
eServices - Apply for an Annual Over dimensional Permit
Coordinated / Escorted permits
When a load is at or is higher than 5.3 meters, a coordinated / escorted set-up is required to adjust traffic control / signal devices and utility lines. There are additional fees associated with a coordinated set-up.
eServices - Apply for a Coordinated / Escorted Over dimensional Permit
If your load is at or exceeds one of the following dimensions:
||12’6” / 3.81m
||16’1” / 4.9m|
||14’6” / 4.41m
||17’4” / 5.3m|
||24’ / 7.31m
The following regulations apply for over dimensional loads:
- Movement of over dimensional loads with the proportions of the same or greater than 12’2” / 3.7m wide and 15’ / 4.6m high cannot travel during the morning peak hours of 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and the evening rush hours of 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- For loads over 7.32m wide or 5.3m high, the applicant will be responsible for all costs incurred for removing and reinstalling the affected traffic control devices. These costs will be determined and collected prior to issuing the permit.
- Once a load is 17’4” / 5.3m in height or greater, it is considered a coordinated move. Coordinated move requires escorts from the City and Enmax. It may also require escorts by Shaw or Telus. Coordinated moves are only escorted out of the City Sunday to Thursday at the following times: 11 p.m., 1 a.m. and 3 a.m.
The cost of the permit will depend if it is a daily, annual or coordinated move over dimensional permit. The prices are:
- Daily: $25 (no GST)
- Annual: $50 (no GST)
- Coordinated set-up (escorts required):
$250* (no GST)
Signals Turning Fee: $1568 (no GST)
Additional third party billing may be applicable.