Share this page Print

Road sign repairs and maintenance

The Roads business unit at The City of Calgary is responsible for installing and maintaining a variety of street, pathway, construction, and directional signs throughout the city. General maintenance includes signs that are damaged, faded, knocked down, missing, or abandoned.

Understanding temporary vs. permanent signs

Permanent signs are typically installed on stationary metal posts. These include:

  • bike/pathway signs
  • crosswalk signs
  • Brown general information signs
  • Traffic/directional signage (stop, yield, merge, etc.)
  • Parking signs
  • Pedestrian crossing signs
  • Speed limit signs
  • Street signs
  • Taxi zone signs
  • Warning signs (deer crossing, children playing, etc.)

Temporary signs are mobile, and usually orange in colour. These include:

  • Construction signs
  • Detour signs

To report sign maintenance on City property, please fill out an online service request.

eService - report sign maintenance required on City property 

Bus stop /LRT signs should be reported directly to Calgary Transit at 403-262-1000, while signs on pathways or obstructed by trees on public property should be reported to 311 directly.

Please note that the following traffic signs are not handled by The City:

  • Deerfoot Trail or Stoney Trail North (16 Avenue N.W. to 17 Avenue S.E.) - Please contact Carmacks
  • Stoney Trail South (17 Avenue S.E. to Macleod Trail) - Please contact Chinook Highway Operations