Project update - June 21, 2016
12 Street S.E. Bridge is open; Zoo Road is closed
The 12 Street Bridge S.E. remains open for access to St Patrick’s Island and The Zoo's Administration Building. However, there is no access from Zoo Road to Memorial Drive. See the Zoo Flood Mitigation Project for information on Zoo Road and pathway closures and detours around the closed areas.
- A construction contractor has been hired and will begin setting up on site starting in June.
- During the summer of 2016, the contractor will focus on building the foundations for the new bridge. Please see below for construction impacts.
- The structural steel for the bridge will be fabricated in British Columbia and is scheduled for installation in the spring of 2017*.
- The concrete bridge deck will be installed after the structural steel is in place.
- The new bridge is scheduled to open to traffic in late 2017*.
- The old bridge is scheduled to be removed after the new bridge is open.
*Construction work is dependent on weather and other conditions. Dates may change. Changes will be posted on the project web page and communicated via other channels.
What will happen during construction?
Short-term noise from pile driving
- A pile driving machine will be used to install the foundations for the abutments, which support the bridge on the north and south sides of the river.
- The pile driving will be loud, but it will only occur for a few days on each side of the river, probably in late June and early July.
- Piling will occur only during the week; no weekend work.
General construction impacts
- Large trucks and other equipment will be moving in and out of the area. There will be beeping noises when trucks back up – back-up beepers are required for safety reasons and cannot be turned off.
- There will be general noise associated with construction.
- Every effort will be made to keep dust to a minimum.
- The south pathway from 8 Street S.E. to New Street will remain closed during bridge construction work, which is beginning soon.
- Large trucks and other construction vehicles will be moving in and out of the area. Entry into the construction area is not allowed.
- See the Zoo Flood Project web page for maps of pathway closures and detours.
- Pathway closures are implemented when they are necessary for construction. The detour must be along a sidewalk for pedestrians or along a roadway for cyclists.
See the FAQ about tree removals relating to the 12 Street S.E. Bridge project and the Zoo Flood Mitigation Project.
What will the new 12 Street S.E. Bridge look like?
The new bridge design to replace the existing 12 Street S.E. Bridge was presented at an Information Session on Wed., Dec. 2, 2015. See the twodrawings of the new bridge design.
The 12 Street S.E. Bridge spans the Bow River on the south side of St. George’s Island and is in need of replacement due to its age and deteriorated physical condition. The bridge, constructed in 1908, was originally designed to carry horse and buggy, as well as pedestrian traffic to St. George’s Island. Now it is an important link for vehicles and people on foot or bikes, which provides access to and from 9 Avenue S.E. to Memorial Drive and points south. A new bridge will ensure this important link is maintained for the next 100 years.
The bridge will be replaced starting in 2016 with a new structure that will:
- Provide two lanes for vehicle traffic with adequate lane widths, which could accommodate emergency vehicles and future Transit, and increase safety generally.
- Be flood resistant.
- Provide pedestrian/cycling access across the bridge and incorporate into existing pathway on the north and south ends of the bridge.
- Be easier to maintain and will last for a long period of time (100 years).
- Incorporate an historical/commemorative component recognizing the old bridge design.
- Continue to provide access into the Zoo’s Administration area parking lot and building.
- Preliminary design - fall 2015*
- Detailed Design - winter 2016*
- Construction - spring 2016*
- Completion - winter 2017*
*Construction is very dependent on weather and site conditions. More information will be provided on updated timelines, but dates can change.
Related project – 9 Avenue S.E. Bridge
The 9 Avenue S.E. Bridge will also be replaced because of age and condition issues, but construction will not begin until the 12 Street S.E. Bridge Project and the Zoo Flood Mitigation Project are completed. Anticipated construction start is 2018. Visit the project web page for more information.
The City of Calgary will communicate with the public and impacted businesses about the construction before it begins and on an ongoing basis throughout construction. The web page will be the primary source for updated information.
Please fill out the online form if you have questions or require more information.