Subscribe to mailing listFAQs
Farewell to 12 Street S.E. Bridge Community Celebration
When: Saturday, April 22 from 1 – 3 p.m.
Where: Parking lot on south side of 12 Street S.E. Bridge
Share your memories and visit with your neighbours as we say farewell to the old 12 Street S.E. Bridge. Join us for games and snacks on Saturday, April 22 between 1 and 3 p.m. – the first 150 to arrive will enjoy free Spolumbos sausages!
Share your memories
Bring in photos of your favourite memories at the 12 Street S.E. Bridge and the project team may use them in the community in future stages of this project. Please note: any photos you bring for this activity may not be returned. You can also email a copy of the photo to the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2017.
The Public Artist, Brandon Vickerd, wants to talk to you! Come by and talk to him about what this site means to you!!
Your local Girl Guides will be at the event collecting bottles and batteries to raise funds for their end of year horseback riding trip. (They’ll be stationed at the Wildlands parking lot from 11-4 the next day, too!)
* The removal of the old 12 Street S.E. Bridge is scheduled for May 2017
Construction update – April 13, 2017
On Thursday, Feb 16 the crane being used for both girder installation and removal of the old 12 Street S.E. Bridge arrived for set up on the north side of the river. Girders, the structural steel that forms the base for the concrete deck, will began arriving to site the week of February 23. Due to the size of the girders they are only allowed to travel between 12 – 5 a.m. During delivery, safety precautions for the construction workers are necessary; this means there will be loud back up beepers and bright lights during the delivery of these girders. There are 15 girders in total for the bridge. The final girders are scheduled to be installed beginning the week of April 18, 2017.
Work is currently underway in the north channel of the bow river to create fish habitat. Click here to learn more.
General construction impacts
- Large trucks and other equipment will be moving in and out of the area.
- There will be beeping noises when trucks back up – back-up beepers are required for safety reasons and cannot be turned off.
- There will be general noise associated with construction.
- Every effort will be made to keep dust to a minimum.
What will the new 12 Street S.E. Bridge look like?
The new bridge design to replace the existing 12 Street S.E. Bridge was presented at an Information Session on Wed., Dec. 2, 2015. See the twodrawings of the new bridge design.
The 12 Street S.E. Bridge spans the Bow River on the south side of St. George’s Island and is in need of replacement due to its age and deteriorated physical condition. The bridge, constructed in 1908, was originally designed to carry horse and buggy, as well as pedestrian traffic to St. George’s Island. Now it is an important link for vehicles and people on foot or bikes, which provides access to and from 9 Avenue S.E. to Memorial Drive and points south. A new bridge will ensure this important link is maintained for the next 100 years.
The bridge will be replaced starting in 2016 with a new structure that will:
- Provide two lanes for vehicle traffic with adequate lane widths, which could accommodate emergency vehicles and future Transit, and increase safety generally.
- Be flood resistant.
- Provide pedestrian/cycling access across the bridge and incorporate into existing pathway on the north and south ends of the bridge.
- Be easier to maintain and will last for a long period of time (100 years).
- Incorporate an historical/commemorative component recognizing the old bridge design.
- Continue to provide access into the Zoo’s Administration area parking lot and building.
- Preliminary design - fall 2015
- Detailed Design - winter 2016
- Construction - spring 2016
- Completion - winter 2017*
*Construction is very dependent on weather and site conditions. More information will be provided on updated timelines, but dates can change.
- The structural steel for the bridge will be fabricated in British Columbia and is scheduled for installation in the spring of 2017*.
- The concrete bridge deck will be installed after the structural steel is in place.
- The old bridge is scheduled to be removed in spring 2017.
- The new bridge is scheduled to open to traffic in late 2017*.
*Construction work is dependent on weather and other conditions. Dates may change. Changes will be posted on the project web page and communicated via other channels.
(as of September 2016)
Road and pathway closures
- The south pathway from 8 Street S.E. to New Street will remain closed during bridge construction work
- Large trucks and other construction vehicles will be moving in and out of the area. Entry into the construction area is not allowed.
- Pathway closures are implemented when they are necessary for construction. The detour must be along a sidewalk for pedestrians or along a roadway for cyclists.
- See the Zoo Flood Mitigation Project for information on Zoo Road and pathway closures and detours around the closed areas.
See the FAQ about tree removals relating to the 12 Street S.E. Bridge project and the Zoo Flood Mitigation Project.
A project-specific public art selection panel has selected artist Brandon Vickerd for the development and execution of a permanent public art project adjacent to the new 12 Street S.E. Bridge.
Related project – 9 Avenue S.E. Bridge
The 9 Avenue S.E. Bridge will also be replaced because of age and condition issues, but construction will not begin until the 12 Street S.E. Bridge Project and the Zoo Flood Mitigation Project are completed. Anticipated construction start is 2018. Visit the project web page for more information.
The City of Calgary will communicate with the public and impacted businesses about the construction before it begins and on an ongoing basis throughout construction. The web page will be the primary source for updated information.
Please fill out the online form if you have questions or require more information.