17 Ave SW construction - Getting around
You can still get around 17 Ave. easily – we promise – let us show you how!
Come on over!
We’re just wrapping up the shallow utility construction in the next couple of months and then moving on to the deep utility and major road work. There will be times when some blocks on 17 Ave will be fully closed to cars, but sidewalks will always be open for people on foot. We’re working hard to make sure you can get to your favourite spots. We’ll be updating this site regularly, so you know you’re getting the most up-to-date information.
Last updated February 3, 2017
2017 & 2018 construction schedule- where is 17 Ave SW fully and partially closed?
After reviewing the results from the spring 2016 business questionnaire and speaking with business owners, access was the most important item that we heard. To ensure businesses can maintain access for deliveries and customers, while making sure we finish all the construction as quickly as possible, some blocks on 17 Ave SW will be fully closed and some left partially open for local access:
- Macleod Tr. – 1 St. SE: 1 lane open for local access (April – June 2017; April – June 2018)
- 1 St. SE – Centre St. S.: 1 lane open for local access (May – July 2017; June – Sept. 2018)
- Centre St. S – 2 St. SW: full road closure (June – Oct. 2017)
- 2 St. – 4 St. SW: 1 lane open for local access (July – Sept. 2017; April – June 2018)
- 4 St. – 5 St. SW: full road closure (April – June 2018)
- 5 St. – 6 St. SW: full road closure (April – July 2017
- 6 St. – 8 St. SW: full road closure (May – Sept. 2017)
- 8 St. – 9 St. SW: full road closure (July – Oct. 2017)
- 9 St. – 11 St. SW: full road closure (March – Aug. 2018)
- 11 St. – 14 St. SW: full road closure (May – Sept. 2018)
What else can I expect during construction on 17 Ave SW, block-by-block?
One of the goals for this construction schedule is to finish reconstructing all of 17 Ave S in two years. To meet the fall 2018 deadline, construction crews will need as much space as possible. All blocks will share some of the same construction details:
- Remove on-street parking within the construction zones
- Keep sidewalks open, so customers can access businesses
- Keep one crosswalk open (north-south and east-west) at major intersections
- Keep major intersections open for north-south vehicle movement, when not under construction
- Close crosswalks within construction zones during deep utility work and most of the road work.
- Open crosswalks and intersections that are within construction zones (e.g. 7 St S.W.), as quickly as possible
If you have questions about the project or would like to receive project updates, feel free to email the project team: firstname.lastname@example.org