17 Ave SW Construction - Project vision
We're making 17 Ave better! Read through why this is an important project for The City.
We're investing in 17 Ave., for now and for the future.
We’re making an effort now to make sure that the area can continue to grow for years to come. The key areas of focus are:
- New public realm and sidewalks east of 2 Street S.W. We’ll be building new sidewalks, burying power lines, installing LED lighting, planting new trees, and working to enhance our sidewalks wherever we can.
- Sidewalk repair and improvements west of 2 Street S.W. We’re going to repair and replace broken sidewalks, LED lighting, replace trees, other sidewalk features.
- A new road design is being built to improve safety and experience for people travelling in the area. Based on an In-service Road Safety Review, we’ve designed new travel lane designs, curb extensions on side streets, new and additional crosswalks, and other sidewalk features.
- Underground utility upgrades are being done while the road is under construction. The City is upgrading shallow (power, gas, and telecommunications) and deep underground (water, sanitary) utilities that support the area’s future growth and development. Upgrading those utilities now avoids additional disruptions for major utility work in the future – which I think we can all appreciate.
- Roadway reconstruction will mean we have a new roadway, including its foundation and asphalt surface. We’re doing this so 17 Avenue S. can serve businesses, communities and all Calgarians for another 30 years.
You can see designs and images of what 17 Avenue S.W., between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W., will look like:
Left image shows Macleod Tr to 2st Corridor; Right image is a design render of the improved Macleod Tr to 2st Corridor
It’s not all about the money. But if you’re wondering, the budget for this project, overall, is $44 million.
If you have questions about the project or would like to receive project updates, feel free to email the project team: firstname.lastname@example.org