17 Ave SW Construction - Project vision
We're making 17 Ave better! Read through why this is an important project for The City.
We're investing in 17 Ave., for now and for the future.
The effort now will make sure the area can continue to grow for years to come Key areas of focus are:
- New public realm and sidewalks
- from Macleod Trail to 2 St SW, we’ll be burying the power lines, installing LED lighting, planting trees and building new sidewalks.
Left image shows Macleod Tr to 2st Corridor; Right image is a design render of the improved Macleod Tr to 2st Corridor
- from 2 St SW to 14 St SW, we’re going to repair and replace broken sidewalks, installing LED lighting, replace trees and other sidewalk features.
- New road design to improve safety and overall experience for people travelling in the area. Based on an In-Service Road Safety Review, we’ve designed new travel lane designs; curb extensions on side streets, new and additional crosswalks, and other sidewalk features.
- Roadway reconstruction will mean we will have a new roadway, including its foundation and asphalt surface. You will now be able to drive down 17 Ave without spilling your coffee due to the bumps. With this will also come new travel lane realignment to allow for 2 full lanes of traffic during peak travel times.
- Underground utility upgrades might as well be done while the road is under construction. We’re upgrading shallow (power, gas, and telecommunications) and deep (water and sanitary) utilities to support the areas future growth and development. Upgrading these now avoids additional disruptions in the future – which we can all appreciate.
It’s not all about the money. But if you’re wondering, the budget for this project, overall, is $44 million.
If you have questions about the project or would like to receive project updates, feel free to email the project team: firstname.lastname@example.org