The City is constructing the extension and connection of both 90 Avenue S.W. and Southland Drive within the city limits to the Southwest Calgary Ring Road (SWCRR). These connections will improve the local road network by distributing traffic more evenly in the area. These connections will also provide easy access to the SWCRR for people travelling north and south - another travel option instead of using 14 Street S.W.
The early design work for the 90 Avenue S.W. and Southland Drive connections is underway and we have been and will continue to coordinate with utility groups and the Government of Alberta throughout the design process. We’ll continue updating the community and area as the project progresses.
About the project
The 90 Avenue S.W. and Southland Drive connections are two of four new road extensions to the future SWCRR. The other two new road extensions to the SWCRR are Westhills Way and 162 Avenue S.W. The City is responsible for the design and construction of all four of these new roads because they are located within the city limits. This particular project involves a number of features:
- Creating pathway connections under 90 Avenue S.W. and Southland Drive. These well-lit underpasses will create a safe and uninterrupted pathway between communities, the current off-leash dog park, as well as South Glenmore and Fish Creek parks. These pathways will be maintained year-round, which will include snow removal during the winter months.
- Widening Southland Drive from two to four lanes between Oakmoor Way and Oakfield Drive S.W. to match the rest of the roadway.
- Connects both roads to the SWCRR.
- Helps redistribute traffic in and out of the community.
- Installing traffic signals and a high quality pedestrian crossing at the Southland Drive and Oakfield Drive S.W. intersection.
- A noise study to determine if noise walls are required, as guided by The City’s Surface Noise Policy.
After the SWCRR opens and traffic settles into its new pattern, we’ll be monitoring the intersections along 90 Avenue S.W., in case further modifications to the road or intersections are necessary.
The following drawings and images show the current design of the 90 Avenue S.W. and Southland Drive connections and the pathway connections, including examples of underpasses. This drawing provides an overall view of the area and how it will integrate to the SWCRR. As the design develops into 2017, we’ll continue updating the community.
Design: Fall 2016 – fall 2017
Construction: Late 2017 – late 2018
Road opening: Late 2020
Calgary’s southwest ring road
This project is one of several City-led projects to connect Calgary’s road network to the ring road. To learn more about these other projects, as well as information on SWCRR, including construction schedule, design and the history of the project, visit Calgary’s southwest ring road home page.
If you have questions or comments about this project or the SWCRR please email the project team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.