The Airport Trail tunnel recently received an award from the Alberta Construction magazine for being the top project in 2013 in the Civil category (over $50 million). Airport Trail tunnel was also one of three City of Calgary projects to receive 2013 Award of Excellence honours from the 2013 American Concrete Institute (Alberta Chapter).
Latest project update - January 2014
Most of the current work is taking place inside the Airport Trail tunnel – electrical and mechanical work, including the installation of air quality monitoring equipment, light fixtures and fire alarm wiring/hardware. Road construction inside the tunnel and at the west and east approaches into the tunnel is substantially complete.
As well, Airport Trail has been widened from four to six lanes between Deerfoot Trail and Barlow Trail.
On July 31, 2013, The City of Calgary turned over the last section above the Airport Trail tunnel—the area underneath the west perimeter road—to the Calgary Airport Authority (CAA). The section above the tunnel under the east perimeter road was turned over on June 30. The City has now met all the tunnel turnover dates required by the CAA.
Construction of the Airport Trail tunnel is on schedule
The Airport Trail Tunnel is a 620 metre tunnel that will run under the new Calgary International Airport runway and will extend Airport Trail from Barlow Trail to 36 Street N.E. The estimated cost for the construction of this tunnel is $294.8 million, approved by City Council in February 2011. This project is expected to be completed in May 2014.
The Airport Trail tunnel project includes:
- Tunnel excavation - Tunnel excavation involved the removal of more than 600,000 cubic metres of rock and earth material.
- Underground Utilities under the Tunnel Structure - Installation of underground utilities such as water for firefighting purposes and storm drainage pipes to manage storm water.
- Tunnel Structure - Concrete work on the structure itself began with the installation of the footings followed by forming and pouring of the tunnel walls and roof. Completed fall 2012.
- Life Safety Systems - Installation of communication/surveillance system, fire detection system, emergency egress accommodations, ventilation system, electrical system (including emergency/back-up), and traffic control system will progress as the overall tunnel project is completed.
- Roadworks (Airport Trail/Deerfoot Trail to 36 Street N.E.) - Existing Airport Trail between Deerfoot Trail and Barlow Trail has been upgraded from four to six lanes. Airport Trail between Barlow Trail and 36 Street is constructed to six lanes.