The City is planning to widen Bow Trail to four lanes between 85 Street S.W. and Old Banff Coach Road, as well as improving the intersection at Bow Trail and 85 Street S.W. These upgrades will provide for a better road network by accommodating existing and future traffic volumes in the area.
Information on recent roadworks at 85 Street S.W. and Bow Trail
The developer for the Aspen Woods subdivision project undertook some work at this location. The scope of this work included:
- Widening southbound 85 Street south of Bow Trail to two lanes, matching the road alignment further south.
- Extending the sidewalk on the west side of 85 Street north to Bow Trail.
The design process for the widening of Bow Trail between 85 Street S.W. and Old Banff Coach Road and the intersection improvements will begin in 2017 and we will be coordinating with Utility groups and the Government of Alberta throughout this process. Construction on the initial intersection improvements is expected to begin in Q3 2017 and be completed in Q4 2017. Construction on the widening of Bow Trail and the remaining intersection improvements is currently anticipated to begin in 2018. We’ll continue updating the community and area as the project progresses.
About the project
Widening Bow Trail and improving the intersection at 85 Street S.W. better manages the current and future traffic volume in the area.
This particular project involves a number of features:
- Widen Bow Trail from two to four lanes between Old Banff Coach Road and 85 Street S.W.
- Improve the intersection at 85 Street and Bow Trail by adding dedicated left- and right-turn lanes as well as through lanes in each direction.
- A pathway along Bow Trail, connecting the pathways on Old Banff Coach Road and 85 Street S.W.
- A noise study to determine if noise walls are required, as guided by The City’s Surface Noise Policy.
The following drawing shows an overall view of the area and how it will integrate to the SWCRR. We will update this section with designs as they become available and progress.
Design: Q2 2017 - Q4 2017
Construction: Q3 2017 - Q4 2018
Project completion: Q4 2018
Southwest Calgary Ring Road (Government of Alberta’s role)
Southwest Calgary Ring Road (City of Calgary’s role)
If you have questions or comments about this project or the SWCRR please email the project team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.