The City is planning to widen Bow Trail to four lanes between 85 Street S.W. and Old Banff Coach Road, as well as improving the intersection at Bow Trail and 85 Street S.W. These upgrades will provide for a better road network by accommodating existing and future traffic volumes in the area.
Information on tree removal on 85 Street S.W. north of Bow Trail
- In summer 2017, The City will be completing some initial improvements on the intersection at Bow Trail and 85 Street S.W. This work will include extending the southbound left turning lane on 85 Street by removing a portion of the median that is currently in place. The tree clearing on the median that recently occurred was done in preparation for the upcoming work this summer.
The design process for the widening of Bow Trail between 85 Street S.W. and Old Banff Coach Road and the intersection improvements will begin in 2017 and we will be coordinating with utility groups and the Government of Alberta throughout this process. Construction on the initial intersection improvements at Bow Trail and 85 Street S.W. is expected to begin in summer 2017 and be completed in late 2017. These initial intersection improvements will include extending the southbound left turning lane on 85 Street by removing a portion of the median that is currently in place and adding an additional left turning lane on westbound Bow Trail. Construction on the widening of Bow Trail is currently anticipated to begin in 2018. Further work on the intersection at Bow Trail and 85 Street will also be occurring in 2018 and the final plans include widening 85 Street to two lanes north of Bow Trail to match the road alignment to the south of Bow Trail, including a separate left turning lane for drivers travelling eastbound on Bow Trail. We’ll continue updating the community and area as the project progresses.
In late 2016, the developer for the Aspen Woods subdivision project undertook some work at on 85 Street south of Bow Trail. The scope of this work included widening southbound 85 Street to two lanes, matching the road alignment further south, as well as extending the sidewalk on the west side of 85 Street north to Bow Trail.
About the project
Widening Bow Trail and improving the intersection at 85 Street S.W. better manages the current and future traffic volume in the area.
This particular project involves a number of features:
- Widen Bow Trail from two to four lanes between Old Banff Coach Road and 85 Street S.W.
- Improve the intersection at 85 Street and Bow Trail by adding dedicated left- and right-turn lanes as well as through lanes in each direction.
- A pathway along Bow Trail, connecting the pathways on Old Banff Coach Road and 85 Street S.W.
- A noise study to determine if noise walls are required, as guided by The City’s Surface Noise Policy.
The following drawing shows an overall view of the area. We will update this section with designs as the project progresses.
Design: Spring 2017 – late 2017
Construction on initial intersection improvements: Summer 2017 – late 2018
Project completion: Late 2018
Calgary’s southwest ring road
This project is one of several City-led projects to connect Calgary’s road network to the ring road. To learn more about these other projects, as well as information on SWCRR, including construction schedule, design and the history of the project, visit Calgary’s southwest ring road home page.
If you have questions or comments about this project or the SWCRR please email the project team at: email@example.com.