Macleod Trail / 162 Avenue S Interchange
Detour Phase 1
How DDI operates
Construction update – March 23, 2017
As work continues, crews are preparing for the cement pour of the north bridge deck, likely to occur in late April or early May. View existing road conditions. A major milestone was reached when the steel girders for the north bridge of the overpass were installed above Macleod Trail at 162 Avenue early in 2017.
Two-way east-west traffic and pedestrian and cyclist access is being maintained on the current 162 Ave. bridge over Macleod Trail between Shawville Blvd. and Sunpark Dr.
Over the next few months the intersection at Shawville Blvd. and 162 Avenue will be the site of construction work as part of improving traffic flow at the intersection. View planned Shawville Boulevard upgrades. With the expected congestion drivers may want to consider taking an alternate route.
A four-project Transportation information session, including the Macleod Trail/162 Avenue Interchange, was held on March 15 at Bishop O’Byrne High School. Approximately 250 people attended the meeting which provided information and updates about these transportation projects.
About the project
The interchange at Macleod Trail and 162 Avenue S will be an integral part of The City’s overall transportation network, helping to enhance Macleod Trail as a free-flow gateway to the city from the provincial highway network. Construction of the interchange will enhance mobility for commuters, cyclists and pedestrians while accommodating access to surrounding businesses and services.
After completing an analysis of the traffic flow at the intersection and evaluating several designs, it was determined that the Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) was the most appropriate layout for an interchange at that location.
This is the first DDI to be constructed in Canada.
This project includes:
- an interchange at Macleod Trail and 162 Avenue which allows for free-flow traffic north and south on Macleod Trail underneath the interchange bridges
- two bridges over top Macleod Trail (as part of the interchange) for east and west traffic on 162 Avenue and Sun Valley Boulevard
- intersection improvements at Shawville Blvd. and 162 Avenue
- a basketweave structure to accommodate access for southbound traffic onto Shawville Blvd. (south end of area shopping centre)
The project is being coordinated with Provincial plans for the Southwest Calgary Ring Road (SWCRR). The prime consultant for the project is ISL Engineering and Land Services Ltd. and Graham Infrastructure LP is the general contractor.
- Fall 2015: Completion of phase 1 construction
- Early 2016 – Fall 2016: Construction of first two bridge/overpass structures
- Fall 2016: Begin phase 2 of detour construction
- Winter 2016 – Fall 2017: Construction of third bridge/overpass structure and associated roadworks
- Fall 2017: Anticipated completion of project
Over the next few months the intersection at Shawville Blvd. and 162 Avenue will be the site of construction work as part of improving traffic flow at the intersection. With the expected congestion drivers may want to consider taking an alternate route.
In preparation for road construction work at the intersection, ENMAX will be staging a series of sidewalk closures and lane restrictions on Shawville Blvd. near 162 Avenue until early March.
Stakeholder communication and engagement has always been an important component of the Macleod Trail/162 Avenue Interchange planning process.
A total of four public information sessions have been held related to this project.In addition, two special sessions for businesses in-and-around the future interchange took place in April 2015 and March 2016.
Please fill out the online form if you have questions or require more information.