Macleod Trail / 194 Avenue S - West Connection
frequently asked questionsProject background
Project update – March 16, 2017
The City continues to move forward on the planning of connecting the west leg of 194 Avenue from Macleod Trail to Sheriff King Street S.
The project team is currently finalizing the roadway and bridge designs, and is working on the necessary permits, approvals, and agreements, as well as finalizing land acquisitions for the roadway. The project will include some modifications to the intersection at Macleod Trail and 194 Avenue, and to the intersection at Sheriff King Street.
Construction is anticipated to begin in Spring 2017.
A four-project Transportation information session, including the Macleod Trail/194 Avenue West Connection, was held on March 15 at Bishop O’Byrne High School. Approximately 250 people attended the meeting which provided information and updates about these transportation projects.
About the project
City Council has identified the West Macleod Area Structure Plan (ASP) as a priority growth area, anticipating that the area will eventually have a new population of 34,000 people.
The 194 Avenue connection is being built now to have supporting infrastructure in place ahead of new area development.
In order to prepare for the design and construction phase of an interim link, The City updated the Functional Planning Study for the Macleod Trail and 194 Avenue Connection. The objectives of this update are:
- confirm the final profile for the 194 Avenue roadway
- review the number of lanes of the ultimate interchange
- update the plan in view of the recent finalization of The City’s Complete Streets Guidelines
- update the plan for the west-side frontage road parallel to Macleod Trail
review options to accommodate a planned Emergency Services station
- develop a plan that provides an interim at-grade connection to Macleod Trail from the west, minimizing long-term costs for eventual construction of the interchange
- consider wildlife crossing requirements.
Confirmation of the final roadway profile has required additional technical work related to the Priddis Slough and geotechnical conditions in the area. Specifically, options are being explored that allow for construction of an overpass, while minimizing the ecological footprint and disruption.
- Fall 2014 – Summer 2015: Updating of Functional Planning Study
- February 2015: Public Information Session #1
- June 2015: Public Information Session #2
- Winter 2015: Detail design begins
- Spring 2017: Beginning of construction of 194 Avenue Connection
- Late 2018: Anticipated completion of 194 Avenue Connection
Stakeholder communication and engagement has always been an important component of the Macleod Trail/194 Avenue West Connection planning process.
A total of three public information sessions have been held to date related to this project.
Fill out the online form if you have questions or require more information.
During the construction phase there will be minor lane restrictions and closures at the intersection of Macleod Trail and 194 Avenue, and when the roadway is connected to Sheriff King Street.