Macleod Trail / 194 Avenue S - West Connection
frequently asked questionsProject background
The City continues to move forward on the planning of connecting the west leg of 194 Avenue from Macleod Trail to Sheriff King Street S.
In order to prepare for the design and construction phase of an interim link, ISL Engineering has been retained by The City to update the Functional Planning Study for the Macleod Trail and 194 Avenue Connection. The objectives of this update are:
- confirm the final profile for the 194 Avenue roadway
- review the number of lanes of the ultimate interchange
- update the plan in view of the recent finalization of The City’s Complete Streets Guidelines
- update the plan for the west-side frontage road parallel to Macleod Trail
review options to accommodate a planned Emergency Services station
- develop a Stage One plan that provides an interim at-grade connection to Macleod Trail from the west, minimizing long-term costs for eventual construction of the interchange
- consider wildlife crossing requirements.
Confirmation of the final roadway profile has required additional technical work related to the Priddis Slough and geotechnical conditions in the area. Specifically, options are being explored that allow for construction of an overpass, while minimizing the ecological footprint and disruption.
- Fall 2014 – Summer 2015: Updating of Functional Planning Study
- February 2015: Public Information Session #1
- June 2015: Public Information Session #2
- Winter 2015: Detail design begins
- Spring 2017: Beginning of construction of 194 Avenue Connection
- Spring/Summer 2019: Anticipated completion of 194 Avenue Connection
Engagement with key stakeholders is ongoing.
Two public Information Sessions have been held:
- the first was held in February 2015 to provide information about the project, answer questions and give opportunity for feedback
- the second Information Session was held in June 2015 to provide an update on the progress of this project. This session was held in conjunction with the Macleod Trail / 162 Avenue S. Interchange project
Fill out the ill out the online form if you have questions or require more information.
During the construction phase there will be minor lane restrictions and closures at the intersection of Macleod Trail and 194 Avenue, and when the roadway is connected to Sheriff King Street.