Project update – Oct. 25, 2016
This project is now substantially complete as McKnight Blvd. N.E. between 12 Street and 19 Street has been widened from four to six lanes. Final completion will happen with the installation of signals for the new traffic configuration.
The new pathway on the south side is also open.
The City of Calgary would like to thank everyone impacted by the construction for their patience during the construction process.
Please continue to follow all onsite signage regarding speed and other instructions.
- McKnight Boulevard N.E. was recommended for an upgrade in The City’s Investing in Mobility Plan, which includes widening the road from four to six lanes and reconstructing the existing road bed to improve the pavement condition.
- Widening McKnight Boulevard N.E. from four to six lanes from 12 Street N.E. to 19 Street N.E., will increase capacity by 50 per cent, plus it will provide six traffic lanes continuously from Deerfoot Trail to Metis Trail.
- McKnight Boulevard N.E. carries some of the highest commercial truck volumes in Calgary. The roadway has become deteriorated over time and traffic volumes have increased considerably since the road was originally built.
- This project will be closely coordinated with the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Transportation Study to ensure the road design is optimized as much as possible to meet the current and future needs of this important transportation corridor.
- Please view the attached map to see the work area for this project.
- McKnight Boulevard N.E. was widened in the median from four to six lanes between 12 and 19 Streets N.E. and the existing road bed was reconstructed.
- A pathway was added on the south side.
- There will be intersection improvements occurred at 12 and 19 Streets N.E.
- 15 Street N.E. has been changed to right-in/right-out access only for westbound traffic and the left turn for eastbound traffic has been removed.
- There is new street lighting and utilities were upgraded and re-located where needed.
- During the summer and fall of 2015, two new lanes were added in the median between 12 and 19 Streets N.E.
- During the 2016 construction season, crews first reconstructed the south side of McKnight Boulevard and then the north side.
- Project end – fall 2016.
The City of Calgary has communicated with the public and impacted businesses about the construction on an ongoing basis. This web page is the primary source for updated information.
Approximately 75 people attended an information session on May 6, 2015 about the widening and reconstruction. As a result of discussions at the event with bicycle riders, it was decided that the pathway along the south side would be extended to past 12 Street N.E. and would join up with a cul-de-sac at 48 Avenue N.E.
Please fill out the online form if you have questions or require more information.