Project update – July 19, 2016
McKnight Boulevard N.E. is being widened from four to six lanes and reconstructed* between 12 and 19 Streets N.E., over a two-year period (2015-2016).
Starting July 25, 2016, while the McKnight Boulevard Widening and Reconstruction project is underway, Alberta Transportation* is undertaking repairs on the bridge at McKnight over Deerfoot Trail N.E. The two projects will coordinate their efforts in order to minimize traffic impacts, but there will be delays.
For more information, and ongoing updates about the bridge repair project, please call 511 or visit 511Alberta.ca
McKnight Boulevard Widening and Reconstruction project update
- From March to early June 2016, crews reconstructed the south lanes on McKnight Boulevard between 12 and 19 Streets N.E.
- Crews are now reconstructing the north lanes and westbound traffic is directed onto two new lanes added in the median in 2015.
- Once construction is complete, there will be three lanes on the south side for eastbound traffic and three lanes on the north side for westbound traffic.
- The new multi-use pathway on the south side is nearing completion and will be opened as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Traffic speed is reduced from 70 to 50 km/h in the construction zone.
- Construction will be complete by fall 2016.
- For everyone’s safety, please obey all onsite signage regarding speed and other instructions.
*Alberta Transportation bridge repair project
- Alberta Transportation will be undertaking bridge rehabilitation work on the bridge over Deerfoot Trail at McKnight Boulevard N.E. starting July 25, which will last until late September.
- The project work involves replacing the expansion joints that are located at either end of the bridge, installing a watertight joint along the median and other repair work.
- The project will involve lane closures, but two lanes will remain open for traffic in each direction. The lanes will be narrowed and access to the bridge for semi-trailer trucks will be restricted from all directions (see below).
- Speed reductions will be in place.
*Please note: All timelines are approximate and can change based on weather and/or site conditions.
Special notice to LCV Carriers:
Long Combination Vehicles (LCVs) will be restricted on ramps during the entire project. Affected trucks must find alternate routes. Ramps will include:
- Deerfoot Trail travelling southbound, with access to McKnight Boulevard eastbound
- Deerfoot Trail travelling northbound, with access to McKnight Boulevard westbound
Temporary closure of access to 15 Street S.E. from McKnight Boulevard
- On westbound McKnight Boulevard, right-in and right-out access to15 Street N.E. will be closed from June 5 to mid-August 2016 while reconstruction work is completed on the north side.
- 15 Street N.E. will re-open for right-in and right-out access only after mid-August 2016.
- There is currently no access onto eastbound lanes of McKnight Boulevard to and from 15 Street S.E. and this closure will remain in place permanently.
- McKnight Boulevard N.E. was recommended for an upgrade in The City’s Investing in Mobility Plan, which includes widening the road from four to six lanes and reconstructing the existing road bed to improve the pavement condition.
- Widening McKnight Boulevard N.E. from four to six lanes from 12 Street N.E. to 19 Street N.E., will increase capacity by 50 per cent, plus it will provide six traffic lanes continuously from Deerfoot Trail to Metis Trail.
- McKnight Boulevard N.E. carries some of the highest commercial truck volumes in Calgary. The roadway has become deteriorated over time and traffic volumes have increased considerably since the road was originally built.
- This project will be closely coordinated with the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Transportation Study to ensure the road design is optimized as much as possible to meet the current and future needs of this important transportation corridor.
- Please view the attached map to see the work area for this project.
- McKnight Boulevard N.E. will be widened in the median from four to six lanes between 12 and 19 Streets N.E. and the existing road bed will be reconstructed.
- A pathway is being added on the south side.
- There will be intersection improvements at 12 and 19 Streets N.E.
- 15 Street N.E. has been changed to right-in/right-out access only for westbound traffic and the left turn for eastbound traffic has been removed.
- There will be new street lighting and utilities will be upgraded and re-located where needed.
- During the summer and fall of 2015, two new lanes were added in the median between 12 and 19 Streets N.E.
- During the 2016 construction season, crews will reconstruct the south side of McKnight Boulevard and then the north side. Traffic will be directed onto the new lanes in the median.
- Project end – fall 2016.
*Road construction is very dependent on weather and site conditions. More information will be provided closer to the start date, but timelines can change.
The City of Calgary will communicate with the public and impacted businesses about the construction before it begins and on an ongoing basis throughout construction. The web page will be the primary source for updated information.
Approximately 75 people attended an information session on May 6, 2015 about the widening and reconstruction. As a result of discussions at the event with bicycle riders, the pathway along the south side will be extended to past 12 Street N.E. and join up with a cul-de-sac at 48 Avenue N.E. Please see the attached board
, which shows the pathway extension.
Please fill out the online form
if you have questions or require more information.