Project update - March 8, 2016
- Construction has begun on the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Widening and Reconstruction project.
- Traffic speed has been reduced from 60 km/h to 50 km/h from 12 to 19 Streets N.E. and will remain in place until the project is complete. Starting March 13, the two eastbound lanes will be closed to traffic and eastbound traffic is re-routed onto two new lanes in the median; there is no change to the two westbound lanes. This will allow reconstruction work to begin on the two eastbound lanes.
- Crews will also work on the new multi-use pathway being constructed on the south side, which should be mostly complete by mid-summer.
- By mid-summer, when eastbound reconstruction work is complete, the two eastbound lanes will open and the two westbound lanes will close. Westbound traffic will be re-routed onto the two new lanes in the median.
- Project end – fall 2016.
McKnight Boulevard N.E. has been recommended for an upgrade in The City’s Investing in Mobility Plan
, which includes widening the road from four to six lanes and reconstructing the existing road bed to improve the pavement condition. Widening McKnight Boulevard N.E. from four to six lanes from 12 Street N.E. to 19 Street N.E., will increase capacity by 50 per cent, plus it will provide six lanes for traffic continuously from Deerfoot Trail to Metis Trail.
McKnight Boulevard N.E. carries some of the highest commercial truck volumes in Calgary. The roadway has become deteriorated over time and traffic volumes have increased considerably since the road was originally built.
This project will be closely coordinated with the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Transportation Study
to ensure the road design is optimized as much as possible to meet the current and future needs of this important transportation corridor.
- Please view the attached map to see the work area for this project.
- McKnight Boulevard N.E. will be widened in the median from four to six lanes between 12 and 19 Streets N.E. and the existing road bed will be reconstructed.
- A pathway will be added on the south side.
- There will be intersection improvements at 12 and 19 Streets N.E.
- 15 Street N.E. has been changed to right-in/right-out access only for westbound traffic and the left turn for eastbound traffic has been removed.
- There will be new street lighting and utilities will be upgraded and re-located where needed.
- During the summer and fall of 2015, two new lanes were added in the median between 12 and 19 Streets N.E.
- February/March 2016 – construction will begin with work on the signals at 12 and 19 Streets N.E. This may involve some off-peak lane closures and will prepare the signals for the upcoming re-routing of traffic during construction.
By mid/late March the two eastbound lanes will be closed to traffic; eastbound traffic will be re-routed onto two new lanes in the median; no change to two westbound lanes.
- Late March/early April – depending on frost levels and weather, reconstruction of the eastbound lanes will begin.
- Summer – when eastbound reconstruction work is complete, the two eastbound lanes will open and the two westbound lanes will close. Westbound traffic will be re-routed onto two new lanes in the median.
- Project end – fall 2016.
*Road construction is very dependent on weather and site conditions. More information will be provided closer to the start date, but timelines can change.
The City of Calgary will communicate with the public and impacted businesses about the construction before it begins and on an ongoing basis throughout construction. The web page will be the primary source for updated information.
Approximately 75 people attended an information session on May 6, 2015 about the widening and reconstruction. As a result of discussions at the event with bicycle riders, the pathway along the south side will be extended to past 12 Street N.E. and join up with a cul-de-sac at 48 Avenue N.E.
Please fill out the online form
if you have questions or require more information.