About the project
The proposed upgrades at Southland Drive and Blackfoot Trail SE will help to improve the safety, traffic flow and efficiency of the intersection, and is expected to reduce collisions at the intersection.
The project includes:
- Adding an extra permanent left turn lane from eastbound Southland Drive to northbound Blackfoot Trail
- Upgrading the single right turn lane from southbound Blackfoot Trail to westbound Southland Drive to a dual signalized right turn
- Adding a left turn lane from westbound Southland Drive into the City’s Parks facility
- Slight adjustment to the regional pathway adjacent to right merge lane from southbound Blackfoot Trail onto westbound Southland Drive
- July 2016 - Construction begins
- Fall 2016 - Anticipated completion
Both Southland Drive and Blackfoot Trail are important arterial roads in the City transportation network. The intersection at Southland Drive and Blackfoot Trail serves industrial and commercial traffic and remains busy during peak periods, experiencing weekday traffic volume of about 35,000 vehicles. This intersection is among the high collision locations in the City.
The west leg of the intersection has significant delays and congestion during the morning drive period as demand for eastbound turns far exceeds the capacity provided in the single left-turn bay.
- Traffic speed in the area will be reduced to 50 km/h, or as posted
- There may be temporary lane reductions and lane closures associated with construction
- If any road closures are needed, they will be temporary, short in duration and completed on weekends
- There will be large trucks entering and exiting the area.
- Please follow all construction project signs.
- Every effort will be made to minimize delays due to construction.
This web page is the primary source for updated information. However, if you have any questions or require more information about this project, please fill out the online form.