Industry Bulletin - August 2016
The Green Line is Calgary’s next LRT line, and the highest public transit infrastructure priority for The City of Calgary. End-to-end, the line will connect communities between North Pointe and Seton with downtown, and is estimated to serve 41 million passengers annually. Construction of the Green Line will require the expertise, innovation and collaboration between The City and industry partners.
The functional design is currently being developed for the Centre City and North portions of the line, and the land use planning is occurring in the southeast.
The overall contracting strategy is being developed to determine the best method for delivering the Green Line. The City is considering the full spectrum of options, including traditional delivery methods and a public-private-partnership. Options in light rail vehicle (LRV) procurement and tunnel construction are also included in the assessment, and phasing options may be developed pending funding commitments.
The full functional design and the contracting strategy are expected to be recommended in mid-2017.
Green Line at a glance
The Green Line features the following major elements:
- A fleet of low-floor light rail vehicles
- A light rail storage and maintenance facility near Shepard station
- A satellite light rail storage and maintenance facility near the Aurora development
- Track length of more than 40km with some sections underground, at-grade and elevated (depending on varied downtown options)
- Approximately 27+ stations
- 10 bridges
- 4 river crossings
- 6-8 underground grade separations
- Up to 11 park and ride facilities
- Up to 13 major transit hubs
- Accommodation for a future airport connection
- Accommodation for the future 17 Avenue S.E. Transitway
The City is expecting to launch a formal market sounding process for the Green Line in the fall of 2016.
For specific questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for email updates on the procurement strategy and future opportunities,Select “Green Line” and then “Green Line industry information”.
PLEASE NOTE - This bulletin is for information only. All inquiries to be submitted to the contact information specified in this document.