What is Bike Month?
Every June, Calgary celebrates Bike Month by promoting cycling resources and events, and by encouraging Calgarians to enjoy their community by bike. Mayor Nenshi proclaimed June as Bike Month in Calgary in 2013.
- Take a ride on the new cycle track network when it opens in late June. Cycle tracks provide a safer and easier way to cycle downtown.
- Bike to School Day is on June 2 and join thousands of students who will ride across Calgary. It’s not too late to participate!
- Drop by a Calgary Public Library any time in June to find cycling resources, workshops and bicycle-themed books.
- Meet a Bicycle Ambassador at a summer festival, library or office outreach booth and learn about cycling in Calgary.
- Take a cycling skills class and increase your confidence and knowledge of the rules of the road.
- Get a bicycle map. Download the City of Calgary Pathways and Bikeways Map App for iPhone and Android.
- Tune up your bike at a local bike shop or check out Bike Fest. Learn to fix your bicycle at a maintenance clinic.
- Add transit to your trip. Combine your trip with the CTrain for longer distances. Use bike parking at the stations or take your bike on-board during off-peak hours.
- Track your kilometres and win prizes. Sign up and be part of the Commuter Challenge that runs from May 31 to June 6.
- Share your Bike Month fun by tweeting with #yycbikemonth or joining our online Facebook community.
Bike Month at the Calgary Public Library
Drop by a Calgary Public Library any time in June to find cycling resources, workshops and bicycle themed books or to meet a Bicycle Ambassador.
Basic Bike Maintenance and Repair Workshops
Keep your bike working at its best! Learn about lubricants, cleaning, safety checks, patching tires and minor on-the-road repairs.
Bicycle Ambassadors at Calgary Public Libraries
Come meet an Ambassador and learn about the cycle track network pilot project at the following library branches:
Ride Safe - Cycling skills courses
Download the Ride Safe quick guide to courses, camps and events for the entire family.
May and June Course Offerings
For Adult Learn to Ride and other CAN-BIKE courses contact Safer Cycling Calgary.
Family-focused bike themed festivals
Other maintenance clinics/information sessions on cycling topics - free or by donation
Open Streets Calgary is bringing their pedal powered fun to a number of events in June. Check them out at:
Bike to the Zoo
Bike to the Zoo will return on August 15 and 16, 2015. Stay tuned for event information.