Helpful tips for safe in-line skating
- Know your route and capabilities.
- Learn basic skills like how to stop, turn and brake before venturing onto the pathway system.
- Avoid hills unless you have basic skills and confidence in your abilities.
- Don't skate in the rain.
- Watch for gravel on pathways near roadways and overpasses, especially in early spring.
- In-line skaters and roller skiers cannot use poles on the pathways.
- Skating is not permitted at LRT stations, parking lots or parkades, and on sidewalks downtown.
- Skating is not permitted with a leashed dog.
- Stay to the right half of the path.
- Ensure your stride does not cross the centre of the pathway.
- Follow passing and speed rules for the pathway.
- Where pathways are twinned, use the path marked for cyclists.
Connect with cycling
Take a map on the go! The City of Calgary Pathways and Bikeways iPhone and Android App is free and available to download from the Apple and Google app stores.
Download the iOS AppDownload the Android App