At this time, The City has decided not to pursue construction of the
sidewalk on 53 Street N.W. between Varsity Estates Grove N.W. and
Valencia Road N.W. For more information, please contact 311.
Construction is underway on the 53 Street N.W.improvements.
Sign up to receive construction updates.
New pathway connections, bicycle lanes and parking improvements
This summer, several improvements are being implemented on 53 Street N.W., based on priorities identified through public input and technical review:
- A new off-street pathway connection and bicycle ramps at the Crowchild Trail roundabout
- Improved pathway connections at Valencia Road N.W., Valhalla Circle N.W. and Varsity Estates Drive N.W.
- A new, formalized parking lane and new painted bicycle lane buffers between Varsity Drive N.W. and Valiant Drive N.W.
- Improved delineation for the parking lane and bike lane on 40 Avenue N.W., between 53 Street and 52 Street N.W.
Construction is underway and is expected to be complete in fall 2016. Some temporary sidewalk and pathway closures will be required for this construction. Sign up for the email distribution list to receive project updates.
Please view the improvement plans in the slideshow below for improvement details.
The City of Calgary is working to make our city more liveable by improving access and safety for all road users. The City monitors and adjusts existing bikeways based on feedback from 311 calls, citizen requests to Councillors and dialogue with roadway users. The existing bikeways on 52 Street N.W. from Home Road to Bowness Road N.W., and on 53 Street N.W. from 40 Avenue N.W. to Crowchild Trail were reviewed to achieve the following goals:
- Improve access, safety and mobility for all road users
- Review operations and traffic flow
- Identify opportunities to enhance the operation and quality of the existing bicycle and pedestrian facilities
- Determine where on-street parking should be located
Public engagement & communications
The public engagement process for the 52 Street N.W. and 53 Street N.W. Bikeway Reviews is now complete. Please read the input summary
Approximately 35 people attended the stakeholder meeting on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at the Maranatha Church. Meeting attendees heard a presentation about why the 52 and 53 Street N.W. bikeways need to be reviewed and improved, the existing conditions for all road users (pedestrians, cyclists, transit customers and motorists) and some of the challenges and opportunities for the improvements. The project team and attendees discussed the possibilities and identified concerns and possible solutions for improvements.
Approximately 75 people attended the open house on Thursday, May 7, 2015 at FE Osborne School. Attendees were invited to speak with the project team and were asked to provide feedback on proposed bikeway improvement options. The open house display boards and feedback form were posted online from May 8 - 15, 2015.