1978 Crowchild Trail North and South Functional Plans
Recommendations from the 1978 north and south functional plans have not been fully implemented on the Crowchild Trail we see today.
The 1978 plans identify interchanges all along Crowchild Trail to provide free-flow traffic from Nose Hill Drive to Glenmore Trail. These plans have not been updated for nearly 40 years.
Since then, Calgarians have helped develop a more sustainable vision for the future (imagineCALGARY). Based on that vision, Council approved the Calgary Transportation Plan and Municipal Development Plan to help guide how we can accommodate for Calgary’s growth over the next 30 to 60 years.
Transportation Network Plans (from most recent)
Note: The GoPlan, the Calgary Transportation Studies (CALTS) and the Calgary Metropolitan Transportation Study are currently not available electronically.
Transit Plan and Projects
Below are some of the key Transit plans and projects the Crowchild Trail Study is coordinating with. See Route Ahead: A Strategic Plan for Transit in Calgary for more information about these projects.
- Green Line: North Pointe to Seton (Status: Planning)
- North Crosstown Bus Rapid Transit (BRT): Brentwood to Saddletowne (Status: Planning. Expects service to start Fall 2018)
- West Campus Mobility (U of C area (Status: Planning) and connection to Westbrook transit oriented village)
- Southwest Transitway: Downtown to Woodbine (Status: Planning. Expects service to start Fall 2018)
- South Crosstown BRT: Westbrook to 52 Street E. (Status: Planning. Expects service to start Fall 2018)
- Route 305 BRT West: Canada Olympic Park and downtown connecting to 17 Ave S.E. Transitway
- Shaganappi High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes: Bowness Road to Stoney Trail
Land Use and Community Area Plans
See a complete list of Community and Area Plans
Calgary’s Municipal Development Plan (2009)
Community Area Plans within or in close proximity to the Crowchild Trail Study area
Ongoing coordination with other City-led studies
Other third party land use and developments within or in close proximity to the Crowchild Trail Study area
- Cancer Centre and Foothills Hospital Development
- Currie Barracks Development
- Stadium Area Redevelopment
- West Campus Development
- University of Calgary long-range development plan