Share this page Print

Environmental agreements bylaw

As part of the Environmental Agreements Bylaw (11M2010), any third party who needs to use and occupy City property for the purpose of investigating or remediating contaminated sites is required to obtain a license - the License of Occupation for Environmental Monitoring and Remediation (LIOC).

Below are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the License of Occupation.

What are the changes to the License of Occupation?

Under the Site Investigation and Remediation Bylaw, a License must be obtained by a third party when they:

  • Install environmental monitoring wells on City land
  • Install buried infrastructure across City land
  • Locate a remediation system shed on City land

Under the Environmental Agreements Bylaw, in addition to the above conditions, a License must also be obtained by a third party when they apply to do the following:

  • Drill boreholes for soil sampling purposes, only on City land (no monitoring well installed).
  • Inject chemicals for remediation purposes on City land.
  • Excavate on City land for the purpose of removing, treating or sampling contaminated soil or groundwater.
  • Gain access to City-owned monitoring wells (on City land) for the purposes of groundwater sampling and analyses.

Some exceptions that do not require a License of Occupation:

  • Geo-technical monitoring wells.
  • Any excavation on City land that is not environmentally-related.

Indemnification agreements - An indemnification agreement is still required where a road or lane right-of-way will be affected and a License is not required. This applies for both of the above cases (geo-technical or excavation) where a road right-of-way is affected.

How do I obtain a License?

To apply for a License of Occupation,download and print the License of Occupation application form and deliver it to the City of Calgary License of Occupation Coordinator with the required documents as listed on the application form.

 Download License of Occupation Application

Mailing address
License of Occupation Coordinator
Mail Code #111
P.O. Box 2100, Station M
Calgary, AB, T2P 2M5

If couried:
License of Occupation Coordinator
Mail Code #111
Floor 8, Calgary Public Building
205 - 8 Avenue SE
Calgary, AB, T2G 0K9

Please note: the application form also includes the required information for Utility Line Assignments (block profiles). By providing all of the information from the License application checklist, both the Utility Line Assignments approval and License are processed simultaneously.

Letter of credit - As part of the License application, a letter of credit will now be required in an amount sufficient to cover the costs for removal of any infrastructure left in place after the License has expired. The cost will be $1,500 per monitoring well. For remediation systems, the cost will be determined by the scope of the project. This letter of credit will be returned to the issuer if the infrastructure is decommissioned properly and in a timely manner as per the conditions of the License.

Letter of credit exceptions - A letter of credit is not required for boreholes (soil sampling only), remedial excavations or chemical injections unless infrastructure is left behind.

For more information, see theLicense of Occupation - Letter of credit checklist.

How much does the License cost?

The application fee is $150 per License. The annual renewal fee is $150 per License. The amendment fee for an existing active License is $100.

Please note: The amount for the entire term will be collected on application. For example, a License with a ten-year term will be $1,500 upon application.

Applicants will now be able to specify the term of Licenses from a minimum of one year up to a maximum of ten years for monitoring wells or remediation systems. This does not include the following license types:

  • Boreholes for soil sampling
  • Chemical injection wells
  • Excavations
  • Access to existing City monitoring wells

Terms of the above types of work are expected to be less than a year and will be based on the project. The cost for processing is $150 per License.

How will the new bylaw impact the License we currently have?

There will be no change to existing Licenses which are currently active. They will be treated as in the past; for example, annual renewal fees will still apply. The changes will take effect once the License has expired and a new License is required.

What are the new types of Environmental Agreements?

Access agreements
An agreement between The City and a third party to allow The City access to third party property to conduct environmental investigations or remediation.

Administrative agreements
An agreement that authorizes The City and another government body to transfer the administration of environmental legislation.

Conservation agreements
An agreement that authorizes The City and a third party to conserve and protect land (such as under the Alberta Land Stewardship Act).

Remedial action agreements
An agreement that specifies the responsibility between The City and a third party when decommissioning or implementing a remedial action plan or a risk management plan.

Stewardship agreements
An agreement that facilitates consultation, research or piloting of an environmentally-related project between The City and a third party.