Between now and 2020, we will be developing waste reduction tools and resources to help businesses and organizations implement successful diversion programs.
These changes are part of our Waste Diversion Strategy to help divert waste from the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) sector.
Business recycling is easier than you think. Check out our information guides for steps to help you get started or ideas on how to improve or expand your program. Download and display the posters around your business as useful reminders to reduce commercial waste.
We're here to help
Experienced City staff are available to talk to groups about the upcoming changes to business and organization recycling and composting. To schedule a presentation, please fill out a service request below or call 311.
Book a presentation
Conduct a waste audit
A waste audit is a great first step to help you figure out the amount and types of waste being generated by your organization. If you're a small business or organization, you can complete a waste audit yourself, and we have the tools to help you out.
DIY waste audit kit
These kits are available to all businesses and organizations in Calgary and contain all the necessary materials to conduct a full-scale waste audit.
Get your kit today! To borrow a waste audit kit for your business or organization, fill out the request below or call 311.
Request DIY Waste Audit Kit
DIY waste audit calculator
After you have completed your audit, enter the results into this waste assessment workbook to find out how much waste your organization produces from each waste stream and what you can do to help reduce it.
If you're a larger facility or want some extra help conducting your audit, visit the Recycling Council of Alberta to view a list of consulting companies available.
Find a collection company
Need to find a recycling or food and yard waste collection company? Check out the list of collection companies at Green Calgary.
Information for businesses
Recycling for Community Associations and Not-for-Profit Organizations
Learn how your organization can get your recycling program up and running, options for handling recycling and tips for reducing waste disposal costs.
Finding the Right Hauler for You
This guide will walk you through finding a hauler that meets your business's needs.
Building a Green Team
A successful recycling program starts with an enthusiastic team. Use this guide to find out how to set up a green team for your business or organization.
Right Sizing Tip Sheet
Learn whether your current waste and recycling pickup service is suitable for your business's needs, by gauging the size of your bins and frequency of pickup.
Many Calgary businesses and organizations are already recycling and composting their waste. We are capturing some of their stories to share ideas and inspiration.
- Learn how the Calgary Board of Education has made significant strides in reducing their waste and energy use, while at the same time incorporating sustainability principles into their school curriculum.
- Learn how Momentum, a local community economic development organization, keeps sustainability at the core of what they do, and empowers staff and their participants to consider the environment in their decisions and actions.
- Learn how Centennial Place, a downtown Calgary office tower owned and operated by Oxford Properties, launched a comprehensive recycling program in their building and how waste diversion is incorporated into the organization's culture at every level.
- Read how London Drugs increased their diversion rate in 78 stores across western Canada from 72% in 2012 to 92%, with a goal of 95% by the end of 2015.
- Read about SwizzleSticks SalonSpa, and see how it has diverted almost all of its waste by using a waste diversion service and making concerted choices to recycle, compost or reuse materials as part of its regular operations.
- Mountain Equipment Co-op diverts a remarkable 98% of its waste from the landfill. Learn how it uses careful procurement, partners and staff engagement to make it happen.