Share this page Print

Getting a blue, green or black cart

Carts are the property of The City of Calgary and are assigned to residences rather than people. Please do not take your cart with you when you move.

Get carts for a newly built home

If you're moving into a newly built home, complete a cart for new homes service request or contact 311 on your possession date to request your black cart for garbage collection, blue cart for recycling and green cart for composting. Carts are provided at no charge and will be delivered to your home.

Replace broken carts or missing carts

We consider a cart no longer usable when:

  • The lid is missing including its hinges.
  • If the lid does not fully cover your garbage, recycling or composting.
  • The body of the cart is cracked.
  • The wheels are missing or broken so the cart won't stand upright.

We do not replace carts due to cosmetic changes that don't affect the use of the cart.

If you have a damaged or missing cart, for the quickest service, please call 311.

Taking care of your carts

You are responsible for taking care of your carts and keeping them clean from odours and dirt.

If odours/dirt pose a concern, follow these steps to keep your carts clean:

  • Sprinkle some baking soda at the bottom of your carts.
  • Rinse the cart with a hose and pour the dirty water onto grass/gravel, not down the storm drain.

Get more tips for using your green cart.

Follow these steps to prevent carts from being taken/lost:

  • Write your address on the side of your carts.
  • Write down the serial number and keep it somewhere safe. This will help us identify your carts if they are lost or need repairs.
  • Store your carts on your own property.