We're doing a great job and recycling more than ever. But, it's also important that we recycle the right things in our Blue Carts and community recycling depots, and properly prepare our materials.
When you put in items that don't belong, it can cause injuries to workers and shutdowns at our recycling sorting facility.
Lather, rinse, recycle
TIP: Add a recycling bin in your bathroom to make it easier to recycle.
Give your bottles a quick rinse and flatten boxes to make extra room for your recycling.
- Shampoo and conditioner bottles
- Mouthwash bottles
- Soap and lotion bottles (remove the hand pumps - they can't be recycled)
- Empty facial tissues boxes and toilet paper rolls
Place loose in your blue cart or community recycling depot
Paper and cardboard
- Cardboard boxes (cereal boxes, pizza boxes, tissue boxes, paper towel tubes and toilet paper tubes)
- Catalogues and magazines
- Newspapers and flyers
- envelopes/window envelopes
- greeting cards
- non-foil gift wrap
- paper bags
- Shredded paper (in a tied transparent plastic bag)
- Telephone books and paperback books
- Soup and beverage cartons (for example: Tetra Pak® packages)
Plastic jugs, bottles, packaging and food containers
- Clean plastic jugs, bottles, packaging and food containers/lids with the recycling symbol 1-7 (please note: cups, food containers or packaging made of foam cannot be recycled)
- Plastic bags, plastic wrap, bubble wrap
Bundle all plastic bags, plastic wrap and bubble wrap into one plastic bag and tie closed.
Which plastic bags are recyclable?
If plastic stretches (like a grocery bag) it's recyclable; if it crinkles (like a cereal box liner), it's not recyclable.
Are all plastic lids accepted?
If a plastic lid has a recycling symbol and is larger than a business card, put it in your blue cart. If it's too small it can't be properly sorted at the recycling facility.
Metal food cans and foil
- Food cans
- Metal lids
- Clean aluminum foil, aluminum foil plates and containers
Glass bottles and jars
- Clean glass jars and bottles
- Refundable beverage containers
They can also be returned to bottle depots for refunds. For more information, visit albertadepot.ca.
What if my blue cart is full?
If you have more recycling than will fit in your blue cart, try flattening cardboard boxes to make some extra room, or save these materials until the following week's collection. You can also take your recyclables to a community recycling depot.
Exposure to rain, snow and wind can reduce the quality of recyclables, and creates a problem with litter in the community. For this reason, we only collect recyclables that fit inside the Blue Cart or community recycling depot bins. Any materials left outside of the collection containers will be picked up as garbage.