All food and yard waste can go in the green cart, including many materials that can't go in a backyard composter. Download a list of YES materials.
You can also learn more about how to dispose of waste on our Using Your Green Cart page.
Yes! All these items can go in your green cart
Meat, fish, shellfish and bones
Bread, noodles, rice, beans and grains
Eggshells and dairy products
Jams, sauces, salad dressings and cooking oil
Pastries, cookies, cakes and muffins
Nuts, seeds, chips, popcorn and candy
Paper plates, paper towels and napkins
Coffee filters and tea bags
Branches and prunings
15 cm in diameter)
* Want to do more? Leave your grass clippings on the lawn after you mow. Clippings will quickly decompose returning valuable nutrients and moisture to the soil.
Pet fur, hair or feathers
Animal bedding (e.g. from pet cages)
Wooden popsicle sticks and toothpicks
NO! These items should not go in your green cart
- No plastic, oxo-biodegradable or biodegradable bags. Only use certified compostable bags, sheets of old newspaper/flyers or paper bags to line your kitchen pail.
- No diapers, wipes or sanitary products
- No food or beverage packaging
- No plastic plates, utensils or takeout containers
- No painted or treated wood
- No fruit or vegetable stickers
Not sure where it goes? Use our fast and easy What Goes Where search tool to find out the best way to dispose of your items.