Share this page Print

Cross connections for testers

​The City is committed to providing safe, reliable drinking water. To protect our drinking water from contamination, Water Services runs the Cross Connection Control Program.

Become a certified cross connection control device tester

Cross connection control testers are individuals certified by recognized institutions to test cross connection control devices and systems.

In order to test devices in the City of Calgary, you must first have passed a cross connection control course in backflow preventer testing at an accredited college or institution and obtain a certification from a recognized institution.

Some institutes that offer training and certification are listed below (please note: this list is just an example of available programs and is not exhaustive).

After you are certified with the American Water Works Association as a Cross Connection Control Specialist, you must register your certification by applying to test cross connection control devices within the City of Calgary

When you apply to register your certification with the City, you will need the following:

  • A completed application form
  • A copy of your Cross Connection Control Specialist Certificate
  • A current accuracy verification or calibration certificate for the test equipment you will be utilizing to test cross connection control devices

To apply online, complete the Cross Connection Control Tester Application.

How often do I have to renew?

Testers must renew their registration annually. In order to continue to test in Calgary, you must submit the application form above which demonstrates qualifications, and a current calibration certificate.

What happens if I fail to renew on time?

If you fail to renew, or if you qualifications have lapsed, you can no longer test in the City of Calgary and any test reports received will be returned to the owner of the property.

What if I have moved, or no longer work for the same company?

It is essential that you report any change of company, address or equipment to the Cross Connection Control Department. To report a change in your information, please call 311.

What am I required to do as a tester?

  • Annual test forms must be filled out completely and accurately
  • You must sign the red tag after each test.
  • When replacing a device, ensure the old tag is removed and a new one is filled out with the new information (serial number, model, size, installation date, etc.)
  • Use the "remark/comment" section for any concerns or additional information.

Where do I get Testing and Inspection Reports forms and red tags?

How can I submit the test reports?

Fill out the test form and submit online. You can also e-mail the form to: Ensure that the subject line contains the service address of the device. We suggest that you request a "read receipt" from your e-mail to ensure that our department has received your report.

You can mail the form to the following address: The City of Calgary, Water Services - Cross Connection Control Program, P.O Box 2100, Station M, #435, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 2M5.

Where do I get reference materials?

Listed below are the approved backflow devices:

  • Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Prevention Assembly (RP)
  • Double Check Valve Assembly (DCVA)
  • Pressure Vacuum Breaker Assembly (PVB)
  • Spill Resistant Vacuum Breaker Assembly (SRPVB)

For a current listing of certified backflow preventers, visit the Canadian Standards Association website.

See The City of Calgary Standard Specifications Waterworks Construction for specification drawings on servicing requirements for residential, commercial and industrial developments, water meter details, and cross connection control device details.

You can also find more information about cross connection control in our Commercial/Industrial cross connections brochure.​​​