In some cases flooding damage can be covered by insurance. When flooding occurs, record the details of the damage with photos or video. The next step is to prepare an insurance claim as soon as possible. For other steps to take after a flood, including cleaning up after a flood, visit After Flooding.
How to make an insurance claim for flooding
- Phone your insurance agent and report the damage.
- Ask your agent if you should take a sample of the flood water (and if your insurance covers the cost of analyzing the sample).
- Photograph the damage.
- Clean up and repair the flooded property. Keep your receipts from this work.
- Keep a record of any property you dispose of for health or safety reasons.
The Insurance Bureau of Canada answers general insurance claim questions Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Call toll-free at 1-800-377-6378.
What if I do not have insurance coverage?
When insurance coverage is not an option, follow these steps:
- Begin clean up immediately.
- Keep a log of all the hours you spend working on clean up.
- Keep all receipts.
- Take pictures of all damage.
- If carpet is damaged, keep a small sample about 30 X 30 cm (12 X 12 inches).
To discuss a damage claim with The City of Calgary, call 311. If you're calling from outside Calgary dial 403-268-2489 and ask for Claims.