Share this page Print

Flooding in Calgary: Maps

The City of Calgary offers a number of different maps that present flooding data.

Since late 2011, property owners have been advised of both the official designated flood elevation per the Land Use Bylaw (based on flood hazard mapping) and the most up to date recommended designated flood elevation (based on inundation mapping) for their specific property.

Property owners may also want to review:

For frequently asked questions related to flood mapping, please visit our Flood Mapping FAQ page.

Flood hazard maps

The flood hazard map is used for land use planning purposes. It shows where surface flooding occurs for a flooding event that has a one per cent chance of happening every year, also called a 1:100 year event.

Provincial Flood Hazard Maps

Provincial flood hazard maps were developed by Alberta Environment and Parks, and were adopted by The City of Calgary into our Land Use Bylaw.

To find out if your property is in a floodway or flood fringe area, we recommend that you visit the Province of Alberta's official Flood Hazard Map.

You can also find more information at their flood hazard mapping site. The Province is currently creating updated flood mapping for Calgary, and will be producing a new flood hazard map.

City of Calgary Flood Hazard Maps

The City's flood hazard maps are based on the provincial maps. They are available in a variety of formats, showing the floodway, flood fringe and overland flow zones on the Bow and Elbow Rivers, Nose and West Nose Creeks.

City Online interactive map
This map shows the floodway, flood fringe and overland flow zones but does not show designated flood elevations.

PDF maps
These maps show the floodway, flood fringe and overland flow zones as well as designated flood elevations.

Land Use Bylaw maps
The City's Land Use Bylaw Maps show the Land Use District for each parcel of land in the City, and can be useful when determining whether your property is in the floodway or flood fringe.

Inundation mapping

Inundation maps are created for flood reponse planning, infrastructure design and environmental purposes, based on modeling in 2015. They show the area of surface flooding for 5-year, 10-year,20-year, 50-year and 100-year return periods.

The three distinct types of inundation are identified on the map:

  • Inundation - Area flooded due to riverbank overtopping.
  • Isolated - Low lying areas that will not be wet from riverbank overtopping, but may experience groundwater seepage or stormwater backup.
  • Potential failure of flood protection barrier - Low lying areas that could be flooded if an existing permanent flood protection barrier were to fail.

River Flooding Overview Mapping

Overview maps which show communities that have the potential to be impacted by river flooding.

To determine if you live in a community that may have the potential to be impacted by river flooding, please call 311 or refer to the City of Calgarypotentially impacted communities map.

Detailed maps are also available by section: