To accommodate future development in the Currie Barracks area and help mitigate localized flooding in the community of Altadore, upgrades are required to existing infrastructure. This project will upgrade the sanitary main (sewer pipe) along 14 Street S, 38 Avenue S.W. and Sifton Boulevard to increase flood resilience in the area and continue to provide a high level of sanitary service while The City grows.
Notice: The project start date has been delayed until September 6. Please see the project details below for the new construction dates.
- Approximately 323 meters of 900mm (36 inch) diameter pipe and approximately 116 metres of 600mm (24 inch) diameter pipe will be installed
- Open-cut excavation will be used for this project, meaning the road will be excavated down to the pipes
- During construction a by-pass sanitary system will be installed so service is not disrupted.
- North Star Contracting will be completing the work on behalf of Water Services.
- The work will be completed in three phases to accommodate traffic in the area. See the map of the back of this notice for the three phases.
- Phase one is scheduled to begin September 6 and is expected to take approximately two and a half weeks.
- Phase two will begin immediately after phase one in mid to late-September and will be complete in approximately two weeks.
- Phase three will begin immediately after phase two in late-September or early October and is anticipated to take approximately two weeks.
It is important to note that schedules may change depending on a number of factors, including approvals, weather, soil conditions and other items that could affect construction.
- Road closures will be required along 14 Street S, 38 Avenue S.W. and Sifton Boulevard to accommodate the work
- Traffic detours and signage will be in place for all construction.
- To minimize the impacts to traffic, the work will be completed in three phases to allow for detours.
- Lay down areas for construction equipment will be within the road right-of-way
- Noise and dust impacts will be monitored to fall within bylaw limits.
- Work hours are Monday – Sunday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
For more information
If you have any questions or concerns, please see the latest construction notice or contact 311 (24 hours, seven days a week). We realize this project may cause some inconvenience and thank you for your patience as we upgrade this critical water infrastructure.