To accommodate future development in the Currie Barracks area and help mitigate localized flooding in the community of Altadore, upgrades are required to existing infrastructure. This project will upgrade the sanitary main (sewer pipe) along 14 Street S, 38 Avenue S.W. and Sifton Boulevard to increase flood resilience in the area and continue to provide a high level of sanitary service while The City grows.
Notice: Due to the recent extremely cold weather work had to be suspended for a short period as it was not safe for workers. All underground work is nearly complete, and paving will take place over the next week to complete the last phase of this project. We apologize for any impacts this may have on traffic routes, and thank you for your patience as we continue to work on this critical infrastructure.
- Approximately 323 meters of 900mm (36 inch) diameter pipe and approximately 116 metres of 600mm (24 inch) diameter pipe will be installed
- Open-cut excavation will be used for this project, meaning the road will be excavated down to the pipes
- During construction a by-pass sanitary system will be installed so service is not disrupted.
- North Star Contracting will be completing the work on behalf of Water Services.
- The work will be completed in three phases to accommodate traffic in the area.
- Phase one is complete.
- Phase two is complete.
- Phase three is underway and is anticipated to be complete by Thursday December 22.
It is important to note that schedules may change depending on a number of factors, including approvals, weather, soil conditions and other items that could affect construction.
- Road closures will be required along 14 Street S and 38 Avenue S.W. to accommodate the work. Sifton Boulevard is now open.
- Traffic detours and signage will be in place for all construction.
- To minimize the impacts to traffic, the work will be completed in three phases to allow for detours.
- Lay down areas for construction equipment will be within the road right-of-way
- Noise and dust impacts will be monitored to fall within bylaw limits.
- Work hours are Monday – Sunday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
For more information
If you have any questions or concerns, please see thelatest construction notice or contact 311 (24 hours, seven days a week). We realize this project has caused inconveniences and has gone well past the original schedule. Please accept our sincere apology for the duration of this project, and thank you again for your patience as work to get this project finished.