After the June 2013 Flood, The City of Calgary inspected the Bow River, Elbow River, Fish Creek, Nose Creek and West Nose Creek for significant damage to outfalls and riverbanks. We identified 161 outfalls along the rivers and 53 outfalls along the creeks with damage, and have prioritized them for repairs.
About the project
The existing outfall B52A was identified as one that suffered damage. This project will repair the damaged outfall and stabilize the bank in the immediate area of the outfall using riprap (large stones) to protect it from further erosion. Construction is expected to take two (2) weeks to complete and will occur between July 25 and August 8, 2016.
- Outfall B52A is located along the right (south) bank of the Bow River at the southeast end of the 10 Street / Louise Bridge (please see map).
- Repairs to the outfall involve replacing the existing damaged outfall structure, installing a new pre-cast outfall end and placing riprap (large stones) to stabilize the riverbank.
- Construction fencing will be in place for the duration of this project.
- The construction site is located within a maintained park space.
- A flag person will be used along 10 Street S.W. to allow for material and equipment access to the construction site between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Construction vehicles, equipment and a small lay-down area for supplies will occupy the maintained park area to the south of the outfall (it will be fenced off).
- Work will take place from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. for approximately two weeks.
- Equipment may be stored in the park area adjacent to the site (please see map).
- Pathway closures or detours will be required for this outfall repair (please see detour plan.
If you have questions or concerns about this project, please contact 311 (24 hours a day, seven days a week). We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause, and thank you for your patience as we work on this critical piece of infrastructure.