Outfall G20C is located on the left bank of the Elbow River, approximately 1 km south of Glenmore Trail SW and 2 km west of 37 Street SW. The repair strategy for the outfall includes:
- Replacing the damaged sections of concrete pipe with a continuous corrugated metal pipe encased in concrete;
- Construction of a cast-in-place impact basin to replace the existing outfall headwall structure;
- Stabilization of the toe of the slope through placement of fill material;
- Placement of large riprap around the end of the concrete channel; and
- Infilling voids beneath the concrete channel
After the June 2013 Flood, The City of Calgary inspected the Bow and Elbow Rivers and Fish, Nose and West Nose Creeks for significant damages to outfalls and riverbanks. We identified 161 outfalls on the Rivers and 53 outfalls on the creeks with damage and have prioritized them for repairs. This project involves replacing the existing outfall structure and stabilizing the riverbank near outfall G20C - located on the Elbow River upstream of the Glenmore Reservoir.
What is an outfall?
Stormwater is rain or snow melt from our roofs, lawns and roadways that enters the storm drains on our streets and travels through an underground pipe system eventually draining into our rivers. The site where the stormwater flows from the pipes and into the river is called an outfall.
- Access to the construction site will be from east bound along Highway 8 / Glenmore Trail, west of Sarcee Trail
- The speed limit along this section of Glenmore Trail is 80km/hr and in order for the contractor to safely enter and exit the site as well as for the safety of commuter traffic, there has been and will be lane closures along Highway 8. The lane closure does not start until 9:30 a.m.
- The construction site is located at outfall G20C within the TUC along the Elbow River. It has been and will be securely fenced
- Construction traffic occurs at varying times during the day and is dependent upon the work activity at the work site
- Work will be done from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. for approximately until the end of December 2015.
- Areas disturbed by our work will be repaired upon completion of this project, weather dependant
For More Information
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact 311.
We regret the inconvenience our work may cause. Your patience and understanding are appreciated.