After the June 2013 Flood, The City of Calgary inspected the Bow River, Elbow River, Fish Creek, Nose Creek and West Nose Creek for significant damage to outfalls and riverbanks. We identified 161 outfalls along the rivers and 53 outfalls along the creeks with damage, and have prioritized them for repairs.
An outfall located along the north bank of the Bow River immediately adjacent to the Raw Water Pump Station to the west of Bakers Park suffered damage. This project will stabilize the banks upstream and downstream of the outfall using riprap (large stones) to protect it from further erosion, and infill the scour hole by the outfall.
About the project
- Construction fencing will be in place for the duration of this project.
- The construction site is located within a maintained park space.
- Construction Duration: Construction is expected to take 11 days to complete and will occur between April 6 and April 30, 2016.
Impact to citizens
- Access to the construction site will be Scenic Bow Rd NW.
- Construction vehicles, equipment and a small lay-down area for supplies will occupy the maintained area to the north of the outfall and will be fenced off for construction access only.
- Work will be performed from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. for approximately 11 days, inclusive of landscaping.
- Equipment may be stored in the parking area just north of the outfall. No other impacts to traffic are expected.
- The temporary staging area and access route will be restored to original condition.
- No pathway closures or detours will be required for this outfall repair.