The City of Calgary, Water Services, will be replacing a water main on 13th Avenue NW from 1st Street NW to Centre Street N. Inspection of this location found a risk of future watermain breaks and Water Services has decided to replace it. Also, replacing this section of the watermain will help ensure adequate water flow can be maintained as the population in the area grows. Water Services has chosen North Star Contracting Inc. as the contractor for this project.
During the replacement work, existing cast iron watermains will be replaced with larger diameter PVC pipe. Affected valves and hydrants will be replaced and upgraded. Any concrete (sidewalks, curbs and gutters) or asphalt that needs to be removed will be repaired to original or better condition.
Construction is expected to take three weeks to complete and will occur between the week of April 25 and the week of May 18. Actual completion date will depend on weather conditions.
- Additional noise and dust (will be controlled by contractor).
- Temporary water servicing, and possible water shut offs.
- Temporary street parking restrictions.
- Temporary Street Closure of Roads and Lanes.
- Vibrations due to compaction.
- Additional traffic and congestion due to construction activities and vehicles; in particular, impact to accessing parts of back lanes
- Tree Pruning maybe required for the Safety of workers and to protect trees from accidental damage.
- Work hours will be 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday to Saturday.
The contractor will be moving in a progressive fashion to cover any open trenches as quickly as possible. Note that some driveways will lose access temporarily while the contractor is in front of these locations. The contractor will aim to provide temporary access (fill) and move as quickly as possible to accommodate the impacted resident.
Water and Sanitary Service
It may be necessary to interrupt water service temporarily to complete portions of the work. For the majority of the duration of the construction activity, residents will be provided a temporary water supply. Should water interruptions last more than an hour, our crews will notify all customers affected.
Please note: The length of construction can vary depending on the location of the work, condition of the soil, the condition of existing utilities, seasonal activities, availability of materials and difficulty and location of the excavation.