When are water wagons used?
A City of Calgary water wagon/station/truck
On public property we use portable water wagons when a water outage happens. To see the latest water outage alerts, visit Water Main and Water Pipe Breaks.
Water Services determines if a portable water wagon is required for people affected by the water outage. Factors such as the severity of the break, estimated time of repair, number of people impacted, time of day and water trailer availability are all considered before deploying a water wagon to a community.
Water wagons are disinfected and water quality is sampled before being sent out. Once onsite, the water inlet access cap remains locked to prevent tampering or contamination.
Where are water wagons located?
When deployed, the water wagon is placed in a central location. If you cannot locate the water wagon, please complete the online service request below or contact 311.
Water - Water Wagon Issues
How to use the water wagon
The water spout and lever are located under the instructions located on the side of the water wagon
The water spout is located on the side of the wagon that will be facing the curb.
When taking water, follow these steps:
- Wash out your container before filling it at the spout
- Place container under spout - avoid touching container to the spout
- Depress lever to begin flow of water
- Release lever to stop water flow
When storing water, please use the following guidelines:
- Store your water in thoroughly washed containers with a good seal. Plastic containers such as soft drink bottles work best.
- Never use a container that held toxic substances
- Seal storage containers firmly when not using your water
Once the outage is over, the wagon will be removed from the area. If a wagon has not been picked up yet and water service has been restored, please fill out an online service request or call 311.