Share this page Print

Property tax: school support - provincial education property tax

All property owners pay provincial education property taxes including people who don’t have children or don’t have children in school. While The City of Calgary is required by legislation to collect provincial property taxes on behalf of the Alberta government, the municipality has no jurisdiction over school board budgets or operations.

School support status

School support status is shown on your property assessment notice.

A School Support Notice is automatically mailed to the property owner when a change is registered at Land Titles (i.e. purchase, marriage, divorce, death, legal name change, adding or deleting an owner).

Property owners can also file a new School Support Notice or change an existing School Support Notice at any time.

School support changes take effect the next calendar year. For more information see School Support Facts or contact Property Tax.

Select a School Support Notice

A School Support Notice is required for each titled property you own including parking stalls and/or storage units. Your roll number(s) and legal description(s) can be found on your assessment notice(s) or property tax bill(s).

Download and print the school support notice that applies to you - individual property owner or corporate, cooperative or co-operative association:

A. Individual(s) School Support Notice Form T527

B. Corporate, Cooperative, or Co-operative Association School Support Notice Form T528

Return your completed School Support Notice

A School Support Notice is required for each titled property you own including parking stalls and/or storage units.

Be sure to complete and sign/seal your School Support Notice. Return the notice using one of the following methods:

Secure Online Page: Scan and upload a PDF or JPG file (maximum 2 MB) of your completed and signed school support notice.

NOTE – When you have successfully submitted your School Support Notice, the screen will display a success message.  Print this screen for your records.  You will not receive an email confirmation.​

Return School Support Notice(s)

Fax: Scan and fax to 403-268-1564. Fax is not recommended as your information is not guaranteed to be secure.

City of Calgary
Tax & Receivable
P.O. Box 2405, Station M
Calgary AB  T2P 3L9 

In person:
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Third floor, Municipal Building, 800 Macleod Trail S.E.

24-hour deposit box: located on the east side of the Municipal Building, 3 Street S.E.

Seniors and provincial education property taxes

All Alberta property owners, including seniors, pay provincial education property taxes. For information on seniors' programs, such as the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program, contact the Government of Alberta at 310-0000.


Separate schools and provincial education property taxes

If you are of the same religion as the separate school district in your area, you must direct your provincial education property taxes to the separate school board. In Calgary, Roman Catholic property owners must declare their faith as Roman Catholic in order for their provincial education property taxes to be directed to the Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School Division No. 1.


Private schools and provincial education property taxes

Provincial education property taxes cannot be directed to a private school. By provincial law, money collected through provincial education property taxes must only be used to fund the public education system (including public schools and separate schools). Private school funding comes from three sources: provincial general revenues, tuition or instruction fees paid by parents, and private fundraising.


More ​​​information

Property tax home page

Contact Property Tax​​​​​​​

Calgary Board of Education

Calgary Catholic School District​​​