About the policy
The City of Calgary is dedicated to protecting our land, air and water for future generations. We are meeting that commitment by:
- Complying with legislation,
- Conserving our natural resources and,
- Investing in new ways to minimize our environmental impact.
Building a healthy and green city requires everyone’s participation – from government and businesses to communities and individual citizens. That’s why we are leading by example. In our own operations, we are:
- Changing City fixtures like streetlights to LED, which draw less power;
- Training our employees on how to avoid wasting fuel when driving;
- Using smaller, lighter vehicles were we can;
- Testing hybrid and electric vehicles within our heavy fleet; and
- Purchasing products and services that have a reduced impact on the environment.
Protecting the environment requires all of us to do our part. Collectively, the individual actions of over 17,000 City employees can add up to make a big difference. City of Calgary employees are expected to know the environmental impacts of their job and make environmentally conscious choices
By working together to follow our Environmental policy, we will continue to set an example for local businesses, communities and citizens to follow.
Download the full policy below.
Case studies and scenarios
Click to expand the following case study.
- Download: Environmental Policy (PDF)
- Download: Environmental Policy Tip Sheet (PDF)
- Learn other ways to protect the environment at work. If you have City network access, visit myCity/environment.
- Visit The City of Calgary energy saving actions website
View the complete Code of Conduct policy library