About the policy
With conversations about The City happening 24/7 on multiple channels, it is more important than ever that our organization communicate with One Voice. As City employees, our behaviour is held to a higher standard. While most City employees are not designated spokespeople, this policy provides you with a better understanding of your role as a City ambassador when interacting with media, making public statements or using social media for work or personal use.
This policy is an extension of The City’s value of individual responsibility and collective accountability and will help:
- Protect The City’s reputation.
- Promote consistency and professionalism in how employees interact with the media and members of the public.
- Provide clarity and standards for both City and personal use of social media.
- Provide clarity about making public statements on behalf of The City.
- Help protect employee reputations.
- You are accountable for your personal use of social media in the same way you are accountable for your off-duty conduct.
- Spokespersons must be designated by the Director of Customer Service & Communications and complete the required training.
- If you are approached by media, please direct all inquiries to The City’s 24-hour media relations line via 311.
Do you have questions about this policy?
- Please talk to your supervisor or your communications businesses partner.
Download the full policy below.
Scenarios and frequently asked questions
Click to expand the following scenarios and frequently asked questions.
- Download: Social Media, Media Relations and Public Statements Policy
- Download: Social Media Standards
- Download: Media Relations Standards
- Download: Public Statement Standards
View the complete Code of Conduct policy library