About the policy
You are a City employee, and as part of our shared values on individual responsibility, you are also a City ambassador. We work collectively for the benefit of the people of Calgary. And together we are responsible for protecting The City’s brand and reputation.
Although we are all encouraged to share positive news on The City’s programs, successes and services, most of us are not City spokespeople. Our Public Statements and Media Relations Policy describes the circumstances in which employees are designated to officially represent The City in any public conversation.
Designated spokespersons must:
- Be designated by their General Manager or Director
- Complete the required training
- When making a public statement as a private citizen on matters not related to your work, do not identify yourself as a City employee.
- If you are speaking on behalf of a project or issue, you must be a designated spokesperson who has completed training through the current City media training course.
- If you are not a City spokesperson for a project or issue, direct media inquiries to The City’s 24-hour media relations line at (403) 828-2954
Do you have questions about this policy?
- Talk to your supervisor or your Department’s communications support
- Contact the City’s 24-hour media relations line at (403) 828-2954
Download the full policy below.
Scenarios and frequently asked questions
Click to expand the following scenarios and frequently asked questions.
- Download: Public Statements and Media Relations Policy
- Download: Policy tip sheet
View the complete Code of Conduct policy library