WARD 1 UPDATE
Due to recent rain events as well as elevated water levels on the Bow River, The City has been unable to perform the work as scheduled. Please be advised that construction duration will be extended by two weeks inclusive of landscaping.
Construction Duration: Construction is expected to take 2 weeks to complete and will occur between April 28 and May 14, 2016.
Outfall B100 Repair Project - Bowcrest Park
The City of Calgary, Water Services would like to share information on an upcoming outfall repair project located in Bowness. After the June 2013 Flood, The City of Calgary inspected the Bow River, Elbow River, Fish Creek, Nose Creek and West Nose Creek for significant damage to outfalls and riverbanks. The City identified 161 outfalls along the rivers and 53 outfalls along the creeks with damage, and have prioritized them for repairs.
Stormwater is rain or snow melt from our roofs, lawns and roadways that enters the storm drains on our streets and travels through an underground pipe system eventually draining into our rivers. The site where the stormwater flows from the pipes and into the river/creek is called an outfall.
An existing outfall, B100, suffered damage. This project will repair the damaged outfall and stabilize the bank in the immediate area of the outfall using riprap (large stones) to protect it from further erosion.
- Outfall B100 is located along the left bank of the Bow River at the south east corner of Bowcrest Park (see map below).
- Repairs to the outfall involve replacing the existing outfall structure, installing a back flood prevention gate, manhole and stabilizing the riverbank.
- Construction fencing will be in place for the duration of this project.
The construction site is located within a maintained park space. The construction site is located within a maintained park space.
- Access to the construction site will be from Bow CR NW. Access to the construction site will be from Bow CR NW.
- Construction vehicles, equipment and a small lay-down area for supplies will occupy the maintained Parks area to the north of the outfall and will be fenced off for construction access only (see map below). Construction vehicles, equipment and a small lay-down area for supplies will occupy the maintained Parks area to the north of the outfall and will be fenced off for construction access only (see map below).
- Work will be performed from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. for approximately 11 days, inclusive of landscaping.
- Equipment may be stored in the parking lanes adjacent to the Parks area. No other impacts to traffic are expected.
- The temporary staging area and access route will be restored to original condition.
- No pathway closures or detours will be required for this outfall repair.
- Project information will be communicated to the Bowness Community Association and available on Calgary.ca.
Construction Contractor North Star Contracting
Information on the project will be highlighted on calgary.ca.
Never miss another muncipal or community update! Sign up to receive Councillor Sutherland's monthly e-newsletter at: www.WardSutherland.com
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.