February 10, 2015
Ward 1 News Release: Six strategies to keep Calgary strong - The City's plan for economic change
Presented by Action Plan manager Sarah Woodgate, Council was presented with The City's plan "Leading Through Economic Uncertainty". The City of Calgary will deliver continued services in 2015-2016, based on sound financial management, a committed workforce and projections of long-term growth. “Overall we are in a strong financial position and very well positioned for ongoing prosperity,” Sarah told Council, noting that Alberta added 14,000 new jobs last month, nearly 40 per cent of Canada’s total new employment. “This isn’t a crisis, however, although it is not business as usual either.”
Six strategies and 24 key actions were outlined that touched upon all aspects of City finances, operations and capital investment. Working across the entire City corporation, the following six strategies will focus our response as economic circumstances evolve in 2015:
1. Continue to provide service delivery to Calgarians.
2. Focus on ensuring value for money in service delivery.
3. Monitor, understand and respond to changes in City finances.
4. Proceed with strategic infrastructure investment.
5. Work with local partners and government to understand what is required in the short term.
6. Create a more resilient local economy with a focus on long-term outcomes.
Vice Chair, Priorities and Finance
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.