The David D. Oughton School, located at 1511 34 Street S.E., was built in 1953 in the town of Forest Lawn. It operated as a public elementary school until it was declared surplus by the Calgary Public School Board and closed in 2006. In December 2008, The City of Calgary purchased the entire site in order to retain a portion of the playfields for active open space in the community.
Due to a growing number of complaints from residents, the unsafe structure of the building and Calgary City Police identifying this site as a concern, The City has completed a hazardous materials assessment and tendered the building for demolition.
Site work will begin on February 8, 2016 with the installation of site security fencing. The contractors will first remove hazardous materials from both inside and outside of the building. Following that, the building walls, foundation and site services will be removed.
Site remediation is to be fully completed in May 2016.
The future use of the site has not been determined. The City will be developing its community engagement plans while demolition is being carried out. You will be notified about opportunities to help plan for the future of this site at a later date.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.